Dual TO-92 heatsink

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I seem to remember in the dim and distant past you could get a small heat sink that took a pair of TO-92 transistors so you could thermally couple them. They had a couple of legs so you could solder them to the PCB as well. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Do they still make them?

Cheers

Ian

Did you search under "Buggy Whips"?

I couldn't find them either. The one clever thing I saw was two TO-92's face to face in a hex nut, likely 1/4", secured with a little epoxy.  Find an aluminum nut, reduced mass after all, and you're cool.

ruffrecords said:
I seem to remember in the dim and distant past you could get a small heat sink that took a pair of TO-92 transistors so you could thermally couple them. They had a couple of legs so you could solder them to the PCB as well. Can't seem to find them anywhere. Do they still make them?

Cheers

Ian
I don't recall those. As Dan mentioned I have seen people put two to-92 face to face and screwed a nut on the pair. 
ZTX851_TO1-4-20.jpg

You might be able to repurpose a press on heat sink for round metal cans, like to-5 (probably loose), or to-39 probably too small.

Back in the day I used transistor arrays to get good thermal tracking, but device parameters are limited.

JR

I superglued the flat faces together, and then fashioned a ring out of copper sheet cut to a bit more than the height of the TO92 case to surround the two transistors. It stays on by the fit of the copper band. Works well.

Attachments

• Ribbon2 Preamp Case.jpg
    Ribbon2 Preamp Case.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 80
this one ?
https://www.fischerelektronik.de/web_fischer/en_GB/heatsinks/C03/Small%20heatsinks/$catalogue/fischerData/PG/KF5_5/search.xhtml

ijzerpro said:
this one ?
https://www.fischerelektronik.de/web_fischer/en_GB/heatsinks/C03/Small%20heatsinks/$catalogue/fischerData/PG/KF5_5/search.xhtml

That is meant for a T05 can but it occurs to me you might be able to place together the faces of the two 'D's of a pair of T072 transistors to make something more or less circular in which case a T05 heatsink might be just the thing.

Cheers

ian

I now use aluminum acorn nuts for ZTX851 "E-Line" (TO-92) differential pairs.

They're glued with epoxy. I would not use super-glue: A customer tried that and the devices melted.

Flat_Moving_Coil_Preamp_FMCP_28_Assembled.jpg

Latest posts

Back