Dedicated Small Test Jig? Anyone ever built one?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Soul Rebel

Guys

I have been building 500 series for some time now, but never really gotten around to solving an age old task.
I have always tested built units, using an extender cable kit (JP's from Soundskulptor). If y'all know the type I mean, it plugs directly into a lunchbox and enables around a 1ft extension outside of, in order to test units on a bench. While it works, I have often thought how much better it would be, to build a small jig. This was my thinking:

2 x card edge adapters with edacs ( to test two units at the same time)
Powered by one PSU (much smaller in size than the floor box PSU type)
Put together on an all in one piece of MDF

Has anyone ever built a test rig like this. Even better, is there a basic 16v adapter out there, that I could buy off the shelf to power two card edge adapters in series to do the job?

I'm basically looking for the EASIEST and cheapest way to power a 500 series unit for testing, without the need for a rack or having build a dedicated PSU and so as to avoid using an already built rack. A low cost testing rig if you will.

I have seen Soundskulptor's 501 single box, which has the guts of the idea (an ultra lightweight solution) but at €174 its not cheap.

Anyone every built anything to test their units, for a low cost that works? Cheers

New Soul Rebel

That's what I've done when I was in 500/51X.
Then I realized the format is too restricting. Remember it's a format that was created more than 50 years ago, when a "large" mixer had a maximum of 18 bus and processing was point-to-point (no parallel passes).
It's still OK for housing preamps, but I favor the versatility of independant units.
I used parts of a 11-slot mother board that I shortened for a lunch box and a PSU from another project. It has only +/- 15V and about +/-20V unregulated, no phantom. It proved sufficient for general set-up and troubleshooting.

Attachments

• test jig.jpg
    test jig.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 50
I built a jig to use with my bench power supply.  When a module is plugged in, it can lay flat or stand upright at the correct height.  The back looked nicer, but then I had to add a jack for +48v.

Attachments

• API Jig.jpg
    API Jig.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 44
I posted about doing jigs on EA's facebook page - maybe head over there and search the term "jig" ? :)

https://www.facebook.com/ExpatAudio/posts/1948991815244438

https://www.facebook.com/ExpatAudio/videos/254777542108021/

I heavily rely on my 3d printer for jigs these days and export DXF's from Eagle.
If you really are testing in volume, or need a consistent process, then I strongly recommend using an arduino or a raspberry pi to perform testing. getting the same test done, every time, is critical for quality control.

Back