500 series board size and L bracket

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

I'm currently finishing the design of a 500 series preamp based on the VPR alliance dimensions specs.

From this pdf information, if I add an L bracket made of 1mm thick aluminum, between the pcb and the front panel, I have to diminish the size of the board by 1mm accordingly.. ¿is this correct?. If i don't do this the front panel would not make proper contact to the case rim. ¿right? My board length is right now 150,51mm.

Thank you for your advise!!
Jay x

Attachments

• api_vpr_ 500_spec.pdf
    82.7 KB · Views: 66
I am no 500 series expert but the front panel shown in the drawing is 0,125 inches thick which is 3.175mm. I suspect most manufacturers use the full PCB size and use a 1mm steel L-bracket and a 2mm aluminium front panel.

Cheers

Ian

john12ax7 said:
The typical way is to subtract the L- bracket thickness from the PCB length.
Of course because the rear of the front plate still has to mate with the lunchbox face. Silly me.

Cheers

Ian

Hi!

I'm refining the front panel design for my 500 series preamp project. Theoretically, after following the API 500 series specs, if the pcb card width is 4.5", and the front panel height is 5.25"...then the difference between the front panel height and card width ( 5.25" - 4.5") = 0.75". this 0,75" should be divided equally at both sides of the pcb card...(0.75/2) = 0.375" at both sides of the pcb card, to maintain symetry....right?😝

jay x

Usually you would center the PCB, so equal space on both sides, common practice but not a hard and fast rule. The main thing is that everything lines up, the edge connector mates properly, and there is sufficient clearance for the finished module to get inserted, The actual opening is less than 5.25" due to the mounting flanges. I've had some commercial modules that didn't easily fit in they opening.

Latest posts

Back