Potentiometer Locating Tabs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

For some pots simply breaking off the tabs doesn't leave a flush mounting surface.  Using through holes would be inexpensive but then is visible from the front.  The best solution seems to be a machined blind cavity in the back of the faceplate, but this can add significant cost. 

So what is the best cost effective solution for medium quantity faceplates,  around 50 pcs.

john12ax7 said:
For some pots simply breaking off the tabs doesn't leave a flush mounting surface.  Using through holes would be inexpensive but then is visible from the front.  The best solution seems to be a machined blind cavity in the back of the faceplate, but this can add significant cost. 

So what is the best cost effective solution for medium quantity faceplates,  around 50 pcs.
can you be specific about which pots have this issue? Pics or links.

It's with the 9mm style pots.  The tab does not remove easily, and it's location is outside the diameter of 11mm knobs necessary for a cramped 500 series faceplate,  so a through hole is visible.

Attachments

• P092N-FC25BR10K.jpg
    P092N-FC25BR10K.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 10
I think with the ALPs and ALPHA pots the metal body is a die casting so the sticking out metal tab does not always snip off cleanly. In the past I have resorted to cleaning them up with a few minutes of the needle file.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I think with the ALPs and ALPHA pots the metal body is a die casting so the sticking out metal tab does not always snip off cleanly.

That could be why.  The bigger CTS pots I use in guitar amps snip off clean,  but these little ones don't.  So you need to file it down,  which is an unattractive option when dealing with 100+ pots.

john12ax7 said:
That could be why.  The bigger CTS pots I use in guitar amps snip off clean,  but these little ones don't.  So you need to file it down,  which is an unattractive option when dealing with 100+ pots.

Which is why I buy the ones from Thonk that don't have them.

Cheers

Ian

You need the right cutters. I use some old cutters that look a little rusty and but they have the right heft and sturdiness to them. When angled just so and with a little prying motion, they knock off that die cast tab completely almost every time. Just don't shoot your eye out. If there's a little burr, leave it. It will help the pot stay located.

Incidentally I have had some problems buying tools recently. I just bought some flush cutters that looked very popular and had high ratings but they're really not that great. I was trying to cut some flat nickel wire and the edges would wonk out on me if I didn't hold the wire in the right way. I have old tools lifted form my fathers EE stuff and they're still kickin'. I have some needle nose pliers that are literally from the 1970's and they're solid. A lot of new tools are just garbage. If someone has a recommendation for small flush cutters, please provide a ref.

squarewave said:
YIncidentally I have had some problems buying tools recently. I just bought some flush cutters that looked very popular and had high ratings but they're really not that great. I was trying to cut some flat nickel wire and the edges would wonk out on me if I didn't hold the wire in the right way.
Many cutters today are made for 3D printing, where the most they have to cut is ABS. Due to their CNC stamped fabrication they are quite inexpensive, but they just don't hold the task we're expecting.
The last ones I bought are excellent.
I paid about $3.50 for them. Now they are about $20!
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B003RRWMTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was thinking about flush cutters actually. I think I'll try these:

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-Tools-125-Electronics-Super-Knips/dp/B005EXOE5U

They're literally 4 times more expensive than the garbage I just bought so they must be better!

Hi my name is Paul and I’m a hand tool addict. Knipex, PB Swiss Tool, Wiha. I have a good portion of the catalogs.

Are these knipex really that robust?
I have always found this type of construction (stamped sheet metal) to be flimsy compared to forged steel, particularly when used with some twist. Actually, removing the locating tabs is more a matter of breaking than cutting.
https://www.fine-tools.com/side-cutters.html

The link wasn’t to end cutters. These are end cutters. https://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=art_detail&parentID=1367&groupID=1468&artID=2152

Yeah, I would not use flush cutters for removing the locating tabs on pots. I was just musing about tools in general. For removing those tabs you need something considerably more hefty. Those stamped sheet metal cutters are only for small copper stuff albeit common enough to warrant a dedicated tool. End cutters would definitely be right for prying off those potentiometer locating tabs.

Latest posts

Back