DSD playback

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I've wanted to put together a DSD playback system for cutting lacquers for a while now. The only commercially available options are expensive. Almost no one asks for this so it needs to be done on the cheap.

I need four channels. Two for Preview to feed the automation and two for Modulation which feeds the cutterhead. The modulation signal needs to be delayed either 1200ms or 800ms depending on record speed.

I think I have a multichannel outputs sorted out with the MiniDSP MCH Streamer. Those can feed Twisted Pear D/A converters. The software I would like to use is Sound It! Pro, which can handle most of the DSD flavors. Sound It! Pro is only two channels.

I need to figure out a way take a copy of the output of the software, delay it by the appropriate amount and route it to another set of outputs on the MCH.

My question is basically 'is it feasible'. I know next to nothing about software.

Another idea was to build a hardware delay unit. I asked over on DIY Audio and the answer I got was that it would take a RAM chip and some timers. I didn't get the impression it was too difficult for someone who knows that stuff.

Any other ideas?

Why don't you use Samplitude to do that?
IIRC, Samp on its own cannot handle DSD, but Sound Forge, which is bundled with Samp, can.
Just copy the stero track and move it by the necessary amount.
Unless Soundit has some features you particularly want, I don't see the need for this specific task.

abbey road d enfer said:
Why don't you use Samplitude to do that?
IIRC, Samp on its own cannot handle DSD, but Sound Forge, which is bundled with Samp, can.
Just copy the stero track and move it by the necessary amount.
Unless Soundit has some features you particularly want, I don't see the need for this specific task.

I didn’t know Soundforge could handle DSD. The last version I used couldn’t. It looks like it does DSD64 but not all the different DSD flavors which Sound It does. This is certainly a good start though. I can get the hardware sorted out. I just bought a new version of Samplitude so I have Soundforge.

It’s been a couple of years since I looked into this. Things have changed. It turns out Cakewalk Sonar can handle DSD. That’s multitrack software that handles all the flavors of DSD. I don’t think it can do native DSD. As best I can tell it only does DXD internally which is high rate PCM. It can import DSD files and export DSD files. I have a feeling real time operation is DXD.

I am agnostic on these subtle differences. I’ll ask around to see if that’s a show stopper for the die hard users.

I’m excited that I can put together a high quality system for little money.

I’m using a MiniDSP MCH Streamer. It has an ASIO driver and can handle bidirectional eight channels of DSD any flavor both native and DoP(DSD over PCM). Also 24 channels of PCM.

There are DIY DSD DAC’s from Twisted Pear Audio that look good.

I ordered the MCH Streamer and the Orpheus DAC with Ivy line stage.

I still like Sound It! because it can do native DSD. I’ll get the system going with Soundforge. Once it’s going I can get Sonar for expanded file types. Then I can investigate having some custom software made for Sound It! It would take a copy of the output, delay it and route it out another set of outputs.

Back