Component wire source?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkiijam

You know, the solid core, tin coating wire that comes out of electronics components? The "legs" of resistors, capacitors, coils etc... not the formed, shaped stuff like TO-220 transistors but just the round wire that you solder and then cut off when installing say a resistor.

Anyone know if you can buy lengths of this solid core wire?

Yeah... I did that, but was thrown by the fact that they all come in the spools. I guess it makes sense that they don't make long lengths of straight stuff and manufactures just form it straight somehow when they go to make the part?

It is not quite clear to me what you are trying to achieve. You can get solid wire hook up cable and strip the insulation off it but that tends  to be sold in spools as well. Are you looking to buy it in short straight lengths? If so how long and why?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
It is not quite clear to me what you are trying to achieve. You can get solid wire hook up cable and strip the insulation off it but that tends  to be sold in spools as well. Are you looking to buy it in short straight lengths? If so how long and why?

Cheers

Ian

I have a box of trimmings from components that I use as jumpers, extenders, etc. I would like longer lengths to use as for many random things I come across. But, I think the answer is just tinned copper or steel wire on spools. That must be what say, XICON uses when they make resistors. They must have a large spool of this wire that gets formed straight, then their resistor material is added to the wire.

Latest posts

Back