+-15V supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Is there a standard off the shelf +-15V or +-18V linear supply everyone uses?

Not as far as I know - just circuits around 78xx (and poss 79xx depending on details) or LM317 (337...) in general or going 'discrete' for higher power.
Would be handy though...

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

What amount of current?  100 mA or 15A?  <g>

Self-contained in an enclosure (and UL/whatever listed)?  Linear or SMPS?

Fully assembled or kit?

I have suggestions for all the above.

Bri

Not linear, but I've wanted to try one of these:

https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/GP50A/GP50A-SPEC.PDF

As it has a +-16V, 48V triple rail option.

I bought and assembled one of these. It worked very well and seemed to be very well made.:

https://www.fivefishstudios.com/diy/psu2448/

+/- 18v Adjustable
48v

There is an option to buy both the psu "kit" as well as a toroidal transformer and mounting "kit".

This would work too:
https://sound-au.com/project05b.htm
I particularly appreciate this note: The AC input GND pin connects ONLY to the transformer.  If this point is tied to chassis or the main DC GND bus, you will get unacceptable hum/ buzz.

ruffrecords said:
Considering the various opinions, the answer is clearly NO.
Very early on, I made a PCB with a 7815/7915 pair (that was before LM317/337) and a PC-mounted xfmr and used it in all sorts of projects.

Brian Roth said:
What amount of current?  100 mA or 15A?  <g>

Self-contained in an enclosure (and UL/whatever listed)?  Linear or SMPS?

Fully assembled or kit?

I have suggestions for all the above.

Bri
This is for a customer. I am building a mastering EQ with op amp input and output. I will test it using my bench supply. His tech will integrate into their enclosure and add a PSU. So many p[eople us op amps I thought the market would be awash with ready built off the shelf power supplies for them but when I came to look I did not find many. So I guess 100mA to 200mA will be sufficient. Definitely linear. Self contained, fully assembled, UL listed. US mains.

Cheers

Ian

abbey road d enfer said:
Considering the various opinions, the answer is clearly NO.
Very early on, I made a PCB with a 7815/7915 pair (that was before LM317/337) and a PC-mounted xfmr and used it in all sorts of projects.
Back in the 70s I sold a kit +/- 15V supply using 7815/7915 including transformer and line cord for only $15. Not UL approved so I would never try that now.

Not rocket science, these days I'd be inclined to consider AC to DC switching supply modules that are UL approved.

JR

squarewave said:
That has come up before but no one stocks them.
They can be found on Alibaba with MOQ's around 5 pieces...I might be willing to try them out as I've been looking for something like this to test preamp circuits.

The ripple is specified at 50mV (at 1.5A load), however they don't list the ripple frequency on the datasheet, other than to say it was measured with 20MHz bandwidth.  The last Meanwell I checked had a ripple frequency of ~100kHz so it was pretty easy to clean up with a small RC filter.

JohnRoberts said:
Back in the 70s I sold a kit +/- 15V supply using 7815/7915 including transformer and line cord for only $15. Not UL approved so I would never try that now.

Not rocket science, these days I'd be inclined to consider AC to DC switching supply modules that are UL approved.

JR

That's exactly where I am too. Better to take an approve module, and add some aggressive filtering! :)

Rochey said:
That's exactly where I am too. Better to take an approve module, and add some aggressive filtering! :)
I used to use MeanWell modules for a huge console without any additional filtering, just local decoupling for every module. No problems. A linear would cost like my kidney for it.

I spotted MeanWell SMPSes in some newer Grace Design products, don't know about additional filtering/regulation.

dbelousov said:
I used to use MeanWell modules for a huge console without any additional filtering, just local decoupling for every module. No problems.
Which model do you recall?

Someone else here used LRS-150-15's in a console supply and we found that it had quite a bit of low frequency noise. After a capacitance multiplier and a large cap on each output the noise floor was super clean however.

Latest posts

Back