+-15V supply

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squarewave said:
Which model do you recall?

Someone else here used LRS-150-15's in a console supply and we found that it had quite a bit of low frequency noise. After a capacitance multiplier and a large cap on each output the noise floor was super clean however.

The thing about Meanwell SMPS is that they use hiccup mode if the load is a small enough fraction of the rated load. As long as you run them around 50% of rated or more they have no LF noise. The LRS-150-15 will provide up to 10 amps at 15V so your application needs to draw about 5 amps to be sure of being well out of hiccup mode. Where I have see this specified they say the minimum load should be at least 20% of rated.

Cheers

Ian

Newmarket said:
Quote from: pucho812 on Today at 12:41:52 AM

I have used this before

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/International-Power/IHAD15-04/?qs=0xCm9DOQnC6xCpeYcfqucA%3D%3D

Looks fine but it's a bit pricey  ?

I have found that these and the identical PowerOne or Condor branded models can usually be found on ebay for a fraction of the new price here in the US.

mjrippe said:
I have found that these and the identical PowerOne or Condor branded models can usually be found on ebay for a fraction of the new price here in the US.

I think this is the best one to recommend to my customer. It is linear, has all the approvals and is from a US manufacturer.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The thing about Meanwell SMPS is that they use hiccup mode if the load is a small enough fraction of the rated load. As long as you run them around 50% of rated or more they have no LF noise.
The noise was present with a suitable load. If you scan over the thread I linked to there are spectrums of with and without the load and you can see it's pulled out of hiccup mode but there was still significant low frequency noise.

ruffrecords said:
I think this is the best one to recommend to my customer. It is linear, has all the approvals and is from a US manufacturer.

Cheers

Ian

Money not an issue?

https://www.acopian.com/dual-goldbox-5-12-15-m.html

I've seen and used those for years.  Break out the bank account....but very high quality.

Bri
abbey road d enfer said:
Considering the various opinions, the answer is clearly NO.
Very early on, I made a PCB with a 7815/7915 pair (that was before LM317/337) and a PC-mounted xfmr and used it in all sorts of projects.

High quality for a price:

https://www.acopian.com/dual-goldbox-5-12-15-m.html

Bri

squarewave said:
Which model do you recall?

Someone else here used LRS-150-15's in a console supply and we found that it had quite a bit of low frequency noise. After a capacitance multiplier and a large cap on each output the noise floor was super clean however.

Don't remember, sorry. They were not the cheapest ones, for sure, something in the middle of their price range. Every module of the console was bypassed with 10 Ohm resistors and 300+ uF caps, something like this. Nobody took serious measurements then, but the desk itself was silent.

kind of piggy backing on this, anyone installing smps inside the chassis. I see larger manufactures doing this but I've always heard (though never measured) of smps radiating noise to adjacent equipment.

I've got a piece I'm working on that has plenty of room for multiple smps but I'm worried about interference. I know there's a lot of variables but would a smps be worse than a toroidal transformer for a linear supply?

RSRecords said:
I've got a piece I'm working on that has plenty of room for multiple smps but I'm worried about interference. I know there's a lot of variables but would a smps be worse than a toroidal transformer for a linear supply?
It really depends on what smps you choose.
Recently, I've bought the RS Pro LDE10 and  they were terribly noisy, even with the linear regulators that follow. I had to replace them with MeanWell that are squeeky clean.
I never had any issues with MeanWell smps.
I use them in my 500/51X lunchbox, noise performance is as good as with the original linear PSU. In the lunchbox, there are no linear regulators, just CLC filters.

RSRecords said:

oops....My notes say this...but my notes are random and cryptic for even me after several years...lol

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/PT-45C/7705915?utm_adgroup=AC%20DC%20Converters&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Power%20Supplies%20-%20External%2FInternal%20%28Off-Board%29&utm_term=&utm_content=AC%20DC%20Converters&utm_id=bi_cmp-274520440_adg-1306220036329594_ad-81638800704773_pla-4585238369727346_dev-c_ext-_prd-7705915&msclkid=b952976eeee61c40211df760c4860477

scott2000 said:
oops....My notes say this...but my notes are random and cryptic for even me after several years...lol

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/PT-45C/7705915?utm_adgroup=AC%20DC%20Converters&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping_Product_Power%20Supplies%20-%20External%2FInternal%20%28Off-Board%29&utm_term=&utm_content=AC%20DC%20Converters&utm_id=bi_cmp-274520440_adg-1306220036329594_ad-81638800704773_pla-4585238369727346_dev-c_ext-_prd-7705915&msclkid=b952976eeee61c40211df760c4860477

I get it haha. So I looked at this one. It's weird to me that the -15v rail is only rated for 300ma. That's actually enough for the project but why so much lower than the 5v (5amp) and +15v (1.8amp).

RSRecords said:
So I looked at this one. It's weird to me that the -15v rail is only rated for 300ma. That's actually enough for the project but why so much lower than the 5v (5amp) and +15v (1.8amp).
That's pretty usual. Logic circuits tend to draw more current than audio circuits, particularly if they drive LED's and displays.

ruffrecords said:
Is there a standard off the shelf +-15V or +-18V linear supply everyone uses?

Cheers

Ian

Some years ago when I've seen people using the "Power One" Linear PSU modules, they were available through farnell and mouser.
I've also see these Power One PSUs used in commercial products, like the Vintech.

here is a catalog:

https://users.obs.carnegiescience.edu/crane/pfs/man/Electronics/PowerOne-LinearSupplies.pdf

I'm just chiming in to add another recommendation for the Bel Power Solutions linear PSU modules, they're nicely built, self-enclosed, easy to connect up, and have done the job perfectly on the handful of occasions I've needed to use them.

This version seems slightly cheaper than the "International Power" branded ones, but the actual units seem more or less identical, as far as I can tell.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Bel-Power-Solutions/HAD15-04-AG/?qs=gCHJnwMCk7TRIN0Ror0tBQ%3D%3D

I have opened an API 1608 psu and it's basically a bunch of power one psu bolted to the chassis and then routed to the psu output connector. if a recall correctly there were three +15/-15, two 48v, one 5V and one 24V.
And two fans for cooling

pahstah said:
I have opened an API 1608 psu and it's basically a bunch of power one psu bolted to the chassis and then routed to the psu output connector. if a recall correctly there were three +15/-15, two 48v, one 5V and one 24V.
And two fans for cooling

The same goes for a lot of other companies PSUs, it's just Power One modules inside

Whoops said:
The same goes for a lot of other companies PSUs, it's just Power One modules inside

I don't know why but Power One is now known as Bel Power Solutions. Did they get taken over?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back