Woke in pro audio....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
To further go down this rabbit hole, does this mean we can no longer use gender assignment for connections. If so do we now call them innies and outies?

I am sure that has already been muted. I believe some manufacturers refer to plugs and receptacles rather than male and female connectors.

And how much longer will we be able to say mounted in any DIY context?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I believe some manufacturers refer to plugs and receptacles rather than male and female connectors. 

Hmmm...  Can anyone tell me if it'd be beneficial if I casually slip those terms into the dialogue next time my GF gets horny?

For Gearslutz to change anything, advertisers would need to pull out. Which the latter can't afford. And the members overwhelmingly won't care.

Coming to think of it a little more... Gearslutz truly is the Fox News of the audio forum world. So are we NPR?  ;D

I hate political correctness, everyone gets offended by everything, the crystal generation as they call kids nowadays, gearslutz is a great name.

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" was prescient about the behaviour of some (acting under the guise of "woke"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

It is worth a view for a bit of a laugh. Unfortunately, this sort of "taking the mickey" humour may become a thing of the past.

We pheasant hunters often talk about coqs (seriously), for example: my dog flushed a coq, it was a big coq (I use the French spelling for the sake of decorum). Americans are generally more civil and use the term rooster.

Been dealing with I2C lately, so lots of master and slave identifiers are included in these white papers.

It's like someone has added sand to the bases of certain words so that they pass slower across my mind. They've been hard-forked. Magnetized.

Seems more efficient to coin new words than make taboo the old ones by reducing them into their historical worst-case meanings. People in great wars or depressions don't have time to count such devils on such pinheads, so I guess that means we're doing covidokey. 

covidokey(n):  feeling ok despite knowing nearby, people aren't ok.

ruffrecords said:
I believe some manufacturers refer to plugs and receptacles rather than male and female connectors.
That's how it was supposed to be in french schools, not too long after my time. Kids were taught of giving and receiving plugs. A whole generation that didn't know how to correctly connect a lamp to a wall socket...

abbey road d enfer said:
That's how it was supposed to be in french schools, not too long after my time. Kids were taught of giving and receiving plugs. A whole generation that didn't know how to correctly connect a lamp to a wall socket...

I worked for many years in the USA advertising biz on the tech side.

"...giving and receiving plugs..." was what we did!  lol

Bri

If someone is actually offended by the name... then don’t participate, start your own site, or shut up.  Political correctness will be the death of us all, people need to get some thicker skin... words only have the meaning that you assign to them. 

Seeker said:
words only have the meaning that you assign to them.

Generally, when you have a common language, it's not just the meaning you assign to them.  If it were, then it wouldn't be a common language, would it?  Sometimes there's a familiarity with a term that allows one to ignore the sexist or racist attitudes contained in the meaning assigned to it or in the way it's used.  While it's certainly odd what words might be taboo in one country or region but not in another ("tabernac", anyone?), it's well worth analyzing what makes a taboo word taboo, and what less-than-attractive biases may be couched in its significance and meaning. 

For the record:  Though for the past 15 or so years I've only rarely visited the forum, I've been a member of gearsl*tz since 2002.  And my persistent lack of interest has nothing to do with the name.

it's well worth analyzing what makes a taboo word taboo

Indeed, except in most cases we're now forced to use google's et al's algos whose systems often rank returns based on previous search history.
I think this means query volume can eventually modify definitions over time! For example, say, words that are repeatedly looked up either for finding or protecting against offense.

user 37518 said:
I hate political correctness, everyone gets offended by everything, the crystal generation as they call kids nowadays, gearslutz is a great name.
Now, is there a correlation between the name and the content?
I think when a site begins under these auspices, it takes a very strong moderation to keep it under control. That's where the failure is IMO.

Seeker said:
If someone is actually offended by the name... then don’t participate, start your own site, or shut up.  Political correctness will be the death of us all, people need to get some thicker skin... words only have the meaning that you assign to them.
Would you launch a site with a name like audiodildo or sexgear and expect it to operate without abuse?
I wouldn't be offended, but not very tempted to be part of it, when many others would, in the expectation of salacity. When they have subscribed, would you shatter their illusions and lose them, or give them free reins?

Latest posts

Back