crossover for multiband compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearsix

Hello to all.
Can someone help me with a good 3 way crossover schematic for a multiband compressor use?

I read that 6 db slope should be a good value

What I need is a circuit where to connect different compressors from time to time
Something like the Drawmer Three Sum, even simpler

Gearsix said:
Hello to all.
Can someone help me with a good 3 way crossover schematic for a multiband compressor use?
Crossover for the side chain or primary audio path?

Traditionally de-essers/de-poppers, only band split in the side chain to selectively emphasize or de-emphasize different frequencies. For this manipulation the filter transfer functions and re-combining properties are not that important, since the audio path integrity remains intact.

For frequency dividing in the main audio path, combining back together does matter. If I was considering such a design (and I never did) I would consider a a subtractive crossover filter, that sums back to unity without phase funnies. To get 3 pass bands would require cascading two subtractive filters in series. These subtractive filters don't deliver steep slopes but allow you to put Humpty back together. I would probably first try to see what I could accomplish just manipulating the side chain.

for TMI back during the FM radio loudness wars, station engineers implemented multi-band compression using conventional loudspeaker crossovers of the day with the different bandpass outputs fed into separate channels of compressors. The music got louder but was sometimes unrecognizable compared to the original recordings.   

JR

Maybe this one?

https://sound-au.com/project170.htm

Attachments

• Crossover.gif
    Crossover.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 53
Great, I think it is the one I am searching for!
With two switches, changing the resistors value, I can select different frequencies. It's right?

Latest posts

Back