Transformer help! What does pins 2 and 3 do? Where do they go?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimothebeatmaker

I have this transformer, and it doesn't say what pins 2 and 3 do or go. 

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.10.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 10.10.07 AM.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 48
Or pin 2 connects to pin 3 and this had been done by the manufacturer before the TX was packed and shipped. Could check connectivity using multimeter. Either way, schematic says pins 1 and 4 should be connected internally.

Script said:
Or pin 2 connects to pin 3 and this had been done by the manufacturer before the TX was packed and shipped. Could check connectivity using multimeter. Either way, schematic says pins 1 and 4 should be connected internally.
while a bit esoteric some avoid using VOM to measure audio transformers to prevent inadvertent magnetization (from DC current).

I doubt this is a serious concern, but in the spirit of WWW veers here's today's TMI.

JR

:)
Language -- my bad. Not connectivity but check connection by measuring ohm.

Funnily enough some  Edcor transformers actually do look like they should have four pins but one is missing. It's two windings connected in-factory for centre-tap.  A production streamline decision, I guess. Not esoteric, but cheap.

Attachments

• 0002023_wsm-series_360.png
    0002023_wsm-series_360.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 2
Most transformers are fitted to a standard former with a fixed number of pins. Often the transformer design does not need to use all the pins so the manufacturer just does nothing with the ones it does not need.. Sometimes they might clip one off to help with orienting the part.

Exactly which transformer are we talking about?

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back