API knobs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

What shaft size are regular API knobs designed for. I bought some from here:

http://www.avdaudio.com/catalog.htm?pid=1376

and they clearly state they are 6mm shaft types. When I get them I discover the plain shaft pots I have are all quarter inch and so the knobs don't fit. I bought a brand new quarter inch drill but drilling out that extra bit proved extraordinarily difficult to keep square. I now have a couple of wonky knobs so it looks like this is not a viable solution. The annoying thing is the knobs look really good when fitted (apart from being wonky) so I am very reluctant to change them.

What I really need is a source of API knobs with quarter inch shaft holes.

Cheers

ian

Maybe reduce diameter of pot shafts instead?
xcg5sqG.jpg

drilling out that extra bit proved extraordinarily difficult to keep square.
Yeah drill press with base clamp is only way to get easy consistency.

The 6mm 1/4" thing has been an ongoing annoyance for a long time.  I think the API knobs are usually 1/8" or 1/4".

Vemaline seems to be the original manufacturer so you could look for them as well.  Don audio has some API style knobs for sale,, but in a common tale of knob annoyance they don't specify the diameter.

Do you have access to a lathe, even a small, cheap one? If so, you can get the drill bit and the knob perfectly aligned/centered every time with a drill chuck inserted into the dead center side.

Another trick if you don’t have access to a lathe: tightly clamp two 3/4 inch thick boards across a drill press table one on top of the other. Drill a hole the same outer diameter as the knob a little less than the height of the knob in depth into the wood (for an API knob, measure across the wing edges for the diameter. If you don’t own calipers, it’s easiest to compare the non-fluted side of the drill bits with the knob against the end of the bit. Better to go a hair smaller in diameter than a hair bigger, as long as you can still get the knob into the hole you drill without much force. A forstner bit will work if you don’t have a big enough twist bit). Making sure not to move the boards, push the knob into the hole. It should fit snugly but not so tightly that you have trouble pulling the knob back out.

Drive a screw down into the hole between two of the wings to prevent the knob from spinning when you drill into it (you might want to wrap the screw with a few layers of duct tape to keep from marring the knob as you drill it out. Two screws between different sets of wings is even better). Now change over to the 1/4 inch bit and drill out the mounting hole.

Remove the knob (you may need to use long nose pliers with a layer of duct tape around the ends) and repeat for the rest of the knobs.

ruffrecords said:
What shaft size are regular API knobs designed for. I bought some from here:

http://www.avdaudio.com/catalog.htm?pid=1376

and they clearly state they are 6mm shaft types. When I get them I discover the plain shaft pots I have are all quarter inch and so the knobs don't fit. I bought a brand new quarter inch drill but drilling out that extra bit proved extraordinarily difficult to keep square. I now have a couple of wonky knobs so it looks like this is not a viable solution. The annoying thing is the knobs look really good when fitted (apart from being wonky) so I am very reluctant to change them.

What I really need is a source of API knobs with quarter inch shaft holes.

Cheers

ian

I used Andrey’s knobs for all my Capi T-Pads in my 312 rack build and it fits perfectly.
But that was the older black ones, maybe they have some tolerances.

Whoops said:
Auchh , quite expensive those Don Audio knobs...

Is it just me or Don Audio store seems quite overpriced?

I also believe it's expensive store. Although it has some nice stuff I've never bought anything fron them cause I can't justify such prices.

warpie said:
I also believe it's expensive store. Although it has some nice stuff I've never bought anything fron them cause I can't justify such prices.

I totally agree.  They are generally overpriced, and often WAY overpriced.  Unfortunately for me, they often are the most convenient place to get certain things. 

On very rare occasion, though, they are actually the cheaper option.  I just bought a batch of Elma switches from them after checking with a bunch of other retailers, including ones who are usually a much better deal than Don Audio, and Don Audio's were the cheapest by more than $10 usd each!

The thing that blows my mind even more than what they charge for things like knobs is the prices on certain VU meters and transformers -- sometimes twice the price of the exact same item elsewhere.

JMan said:
The thing that blows my mind even more than what they charge for things like knobs is the prices on certain VU meters and transformers -- sometimes twice the price of the exact same item elsewhere.

Yes, I find the same also

iprovlek said:
I made my own with milling machine....

those came out great. I'm also curious what your CNC rig is.. 

careful, I can certainly say that they have legal documents hanging on the wall inside of the Maryland factory with the rights to that look

Latest posts

Back