Headphones for Mixing and Mastering

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john12ax7

I'm in need of accurate headphones when proper monitoring is not an option.  Which ones excel in terms of accuracy?

I have 770pro and 7506 already,  good for tracking but too hyped for critical listening. Considering getting hd600.

I have been using Beyer DT990s (250R) for 25 years, I am still very satisfied. The high priced Sennheiser cans are also very good if you can handle the slightly brighter tuning.

For another datapoint, I alternate between Focal Spirit Professional and AKG K701 - both work well, I find the Focals to be closer in presentation to my main monitor setup (Focal CMS + sub). The AKGs sound a bit scooped in comparison, so I'd personally favour the Focals for neutrality and accuracy, though I can mix confidently with either.

The Focals also make excellent tracking cans, as they're closed back. They're nowhere near as comfortable as the AKGs though, and also not as robust.

I'm also an AKG fan. I didn't try the new models but I'm a big fan of the older k240 models. Either the Sextett or DF models.

john12ax7 said:
I'm in need of accurate headphones when proper monitoring is not an option.  Which ones excel in terms of accuracy?

I have 770pro and 7506 already,  good for tracking but too hyped for critical listening. Considering getting hd600.

Hey John,
I have the HD650's and I'm a fan.  I'd imagine the HD600's are similar. 
You can obviously get into the crazy high-end with headphones (most of those are much too rich for my blood) but I find the 650's to be very good on orchestral or ensemble recordings which is a good source for me to judge the accuracy of reproduction.
I wear them for hours on end at times and haven't had an issue with fatigue or comfort either.

My £0.02 :)

+1 on the HD-600 and 650. See link below for testing curves that demonstrate their flat response/neutrality.

Interesting low cost option to consider: a few months ago, I came across this guy’s testing site, where he analyzes the response of various cans, and was surprised at the response curves of the Philips (yes, Philips) Fidelio X2HR. The curves are very close to the Sennheisers above, and they’re pretty cheap. So i got a pair on sale for something like $110 or thereabouts just to try them. They aren’t quite as good as my HD-600s, but very close, and they are well made and very neutral. The graphs show them as about the flattest response you’ll find other than the Senns listed above.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-philips/fidelio-x2hr/

I have been using DT990's for 36 years.  I just replaced the ear cushions about 2 months ago.  Oddly they are now cheaper to buy than they were when I bought mine.  I think I paid £135 UK in 1984(ish) & now one can buy them for as little as £88 UK from Thomann in Germany  !

john12ax7 said:
The X2HR looks interesting,  was unaware of that one before.

The testing site guy shows a mod near the bottom of the page for those phones. I have no complaints about them as they are, but am tempted to try it out of curiosity.

PS I still love my Sextetts, too. On a 3rd set of replacement pads.

john12ax7 said:

I listened to a lot of headphones some years ago, a lot of brands and models, I didn't find any that excelled in accuracy, the same with Monitors. The most important thing for me personally is getting something that doesn't have Bass boost and then use them a lot so you get used to them and learn how they sound.
I feel that will happen with any pair of headphones you will have to get used to them and know how they translate.

I use the Sony 7506 for years now and really like them, I find the Bass region really flat and credible, but I also like them because I know them very very well and after 15 years using them I can really depend on them foe mixing if its the only monitoring I have.

You might want to watch and find interesting the videos of Dave Ratt searching for his new pair of headphones, it's a 5 part series, really interesting:

Dave Rat - The Mighty Headphone Quest Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJh8B1QfEn0&t=1s

IMO i wouldnt touch HD650. 600s are way better... 650 has a darker sound and kind a muddy_ish mid-high mid area...
if u boost that area couple of db (1.5 to 2 db), 650 becomes almost as good as 600!

Whoops said:
...use them a lot so you get used to them and learn how they sound.
I feel that will happen with any pair of headphones you will have to get used to them and know how they translate.

... I use the Sony 7506 for years now...

You're in good company for the Sony 7506's, Andrew Scheps has mixed quite a few things using purely those.

As you said, using them a lot and getting used to them is  the key.  I got the HD650's because a friend who mixes full time uses them when he needs to.  He has more than one Grammy to his name so they can't be all bad.

Q:  What's the best pair of speakers for mixing?

A: The ones you know. 

Winston O'Boogie said:
You're in good company for the Sony 7506's, Andrew Scheps has mixed quite a few things using purely those.

As you said, using them a lot and getting used to them is  the key.  I got the HD650's because a friend who mixes full time uses them when he needs to.  He has more than one Grammy to his name so they can't be all bad.

Q:  What's the best pair of speakers for mixing?

A: The ones you know.

Couldn't agree more.

I had a pair of Sony 7506 I got in the 80’s until recently. I did a lot of live sound gigs with those. They were long gone. I don’t like headphones much. Now I use them for checking fades and for noise. I recently got a pair of Sennheiser 600’s. I like them. They sound more relaxed than the 7506’s. It may be the open back. I think I’m going to get a pair of AKG 240’s for the shop. They are cheap and almost indestructible. I think that’s a good combination for the shop.

Gold said:
... I use them for checking fades and for noise. 

I don't think I've ever heard of a top notch mastering engineer that does use headphones for anything but fades, clicks, noise etc.

I daresay fixing some mixes done on phones keeps you busy though ;)

Winston O'Boogie said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a top notch mastering engineer that does use headphones for anything but fades, clicks, noise etc.

In Mastering headphones are really useful for fades, clicks, noise , but tey're also used as a reference in conjunction with the other monitor systems. They're one more tool, one more reference, some people use them more than others but I can guarantee you that they're used.

Back