AMI now offering single pieces of UTC-inspired transformers and others

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapfoot

For the longest time these were listed on their site with MOQ of ten pieces.

Now it looks like you can buy singles for about 140 bucks.

They have A-10, A-24, and A-26 models. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but would be interested to hear if anyone else has.

Looks like they're also doing the Marinair LO-1166, 31267 and 10468 transformers, which I'm sure might be of interest to Neve cloners.

soapfoot said:
For the longest time these were listed on their site with MOQ of ten pieces.

Now it looks like you can buy singles for about 140 bucks.

They have A-10, A-24, and A-26 models. I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but would be interested to hear if anyone else has.

Looks like they're also doing the Marinair LO-1166, 31267 and 10468 transformers, which I'm sure might be of interest to Neve cloners.

Where are you seeing this? This information is not reflected on their website.

justinheronmusic said:
Where are you seeing this? This information is not reflected on their website.

https://www.tab-funkenwerk.org/ami-parts/transformers/

I must have clicked on an old link or something. This is soo exciting! I can't wait to try out the UT10 in my DLA2A!!

their a-10 curves don't resemble the utc version
edit

sorry Bonnie! you are correct test conditions are different

shabtek said:

Hello Shabtek, not sure where your information on the original UTC A10 Freq. plot comes from?  However your statement is completely incorrect.  If you test under the same src/load conditions as defined on our graph you will see how incorrect your statement is.
Also possible, you have measured a defective A10. In our R&D we tested 5 different original UTC A10's, to confirm all the R&D Oliver had done.

In the coming weeks we intent to post comparison graphs on our site.  As it's been said "The proof is in the pudding".  Static measurements don't offer a complete picture and Oliver certainly had his own style when designing musical components.

Please..... the intent of me responding is not to be argumentative, only to state the facts!

shabtek said:
edit

sorry Bonnie! you are correct test conditions are different

Was just coming here to point this out, as I went back and looked at your plots in the Crimson A-10 thread as well!

Would be really cool to see all three (UTC, Crimson, AMI) all tested together under the same conditions to see how they compare.

"my sweep was 600Ω source to 600Ω wind 100k load 0dBu out iirc  probably would be more realistic at +4 in"

Hello Shabtek,
UT 10 test conditions
150Ω src / 100k Load, Input level +12dbu / Response level @ 1k +29dbu / Max output level w/ 1% THD @ 20 cycles = +17dbu.

I ordered the UT10 and UT24, as well as the NI73 and NO73 from them. Haven't finished my LA2A yet or put the other two in my ez1073, but they look (and smell) really good.

I have no comparison for the LA2A but I'll be very interested to hear the difference with the Carnhills in the ez1073.

One thing I'm interested in for a start is delivery time--the site now says small orders shipping in March.

I'd be inclined to try a pair of A-24s, but I'd need them fairly soon

Just finished replacing my Sowter 4383 with the AMI UT10. Both transformers are very very good, but the AMI has the edge. I dare to say that the Sowter is just a little hazier, like an overcast day, the AMI is like a nice sunrise over morning dew beading off the grass; the Sowter like 35mm film in the 80's and the AMI like 35mm film in the 90's, but even this is a dramatic description. Tonally they don't seem too far off. The first thing I noticed was that the AMI added like 15db of gain, so I had to turn the gain knob way down to level match to my previous Sowter 4383 test tracks. I didn't do anything scientific, just using my ears and intuition.

Another thing I did was change out my 12AX7's, I noticed one had a pretty low 60hz hum and was much noisier than the other tubes I tried. I don't know if it was the tube change or the transformer change, but the compression is so much smoother than it was before. I had to say goodbye to an Amperex Bugle boy, and changed it to an early 60's RCA, then the tube that I put in the sidechain is a sturdy Tung-Sol new production - almost no noise whatsoever.

Would I notice much of a change in the output transformer? I am using a Carnhill VTB2291 for the output currently.

The difference in gain is probably because the 4383 is a 1:4 and the UT10 is closer to 1:9

An apples-to-apples would probably be the Sowter 1449

Still interesting to hear your thoughts! I have a couple of AMI UT24 sitting here right now, very interested to hear them!

soapfoot said:
The difference in gain is probably because the 4383 is a 1:4 and the UT10 is closer to 1:9

An apples-to-apples would probably be the Sowter 1449

Still interesting to hear your thoughts! I have a couple of AMI UT24 sitting here right now, very interested to hear them!

What are you looking to put the UT24 in?

Oliver Archut (RIP) was highly respected for his knowledge of audio electronics (German & broader European designs in particular). I seem to recall a blog or forum post or two documenting his reverse engineering of A-series transformers, and he was pretty well steeped in the fine details. They are very likely as close to the original designs as modern materials allow. The specific laminations would be the limiting factor, as there are more limited audio-appropriate lam choices available from manufacturers like Mag Metals these days. But the differences (if any) would be in the trace metals in the alloy - and very subtle. Most human ears wouldn‘t be able to detect the differences, if indeed there are any.

So basically they are as close as you‘ll get to the originals. I’m sure Bonnie can speak to that with more authority.

Last edited:
Back