OT: color TV cameras from mid 1950's

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I was perusing this tonight:

https://kfor.com/contact/station-history/

From my hometown.  WKY was owned by the gazzionaire <g> that owned the local newspaper.

I attached a pic from that showing what color TV cams were back in the 1950's.  I think they are RCA TK-41's and WKY bought two Back Then.  According to some research, 350 pounds each not including the pedestal.

My, my how things change!

Bri

Attachments

• WKY okla city color cams.jpg
    WKY okla city color cams.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Battleships of the floor!

The scale is really something, and having not seen one in person I wonder how much was required.  I’ve been restoring some early 1930’s preamps for someone lately, single channels that weigh 40 lbs apiece and fill 4 RU.  LOTS of comically unused space on each, even as designed you could fit 2 channels in the same space.  Much to do with a technological sense of importance I think. 

Very cool Brain  :)
Most of the pics of that period from the UK show EMI 203 Orthicon, and 201 Vidicon cameras.  I peruse this page occasionally to look at details, there're even a few schematics scattered about:

http://tvcameramuseum.org/index.html

living sounds said:
It really puts into perspective what an incredible achievement a modern Iphone is.

Pic from the KFOR (used to be WKY-TV) website attached.  Yes, that was "Iphone" a few weeks before I was born in Oklahoma.  LOL

E.K. Gaylord was a media tycoon in Oklahoma City.  He started the newspapers even before Statehood (1907) and then bought into local radio...then TV...and was a very early adopter for color TV at a station that was NOT on the USA coasts.

I can't find the history article, but I recall from that story Gaylord went to a NAB show (or whatever it was called back then) in 1954, saw the RCA color demo and told RCA "I'll buy two cameras" and the required upgrades for his b&w transmission system on channel 4.

According to the story, a month or two later he called RCA and asked "where is my order?" 

RCA thought he was a crank/hick and had blown him off since he was from Oklahoma!

Regardless, he received the two cams and upgraded the transmitter very soon afterwards.  Money Talks!  lol

In today's money, Gaylord probably spent 7-figures doing upgrades at WKY-TV and radio over the decades.

Bri

Attachments

• WKY-TV color camera 1954.jpg
    WKY-TV color camera 1954.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
One more pic.  It was clear enough to read the logo on the pan/tilt head...one of my fave brand names from "back then" : 

HOUSTON FEARLESS

<g>

Bri

Attachments

• WKY color camera.jpg
    WKY color camera.jpg
    952.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back