R.I.p. Rupert neve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very sad for sure. I´m glad I had the opportunity to share some words with him (he had a very good spanish).

12afael said:
very sad for sure. I´m glad I had the opportunity to share some words with him (he had a very good spanish).
Rupert is well known for his audio designs and products but he is less well known for his Christianity. Rupert was a Quaker and saw audio as a vehicle to spreading the word of God principally though the vehicle of missionary radio. When I knew him back in the 70s, he had left Neve but was still consulting for the company. I remember he spent an extended period in South America trying to foster a network of Christian radio stations. He had a wicked sense of humour - I remember seeing a telex from him from South America about the facilities the mixer in such a radio station would require. I clearly remember him commenting on the large size of control knobs they were demanding saying " for use by elephants with pink toe nails"

So long Rupert. You will be missed.

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Rupert is well known for his audio designs and products but he is less well known for his Christianity. Rupert was a Quaker and saw audio as a vehicle to spreading the word of God principally though the vehicle of missionary radio. When I knew him back in the 70s, he had left Neve but was still consulting for the company. I remember he spent an extended period in South America trying to foster a network of Christian radio stations. He had a wicked sense of humour - I remember seeing a telex from him from South America about the facilities the mixer in such a radio station would require. I clearly remember him commenting on the large size of control knobs they were demanding saying " for use by elephants with pink toe nails"

So long Rupert. You will be missed.

Ian

Thanks so much for sharing that. I knew he was a fellow believer, but I had no idea that he had those aspirations. What a sweet thing to know.

RIP Rupert...

I am very grateful for the audiotools he has created for us audio engineers.

17 years ago, when I was a beginning live sound monitor engineer, I bought an Amek Pure Path CIB channel strip. It's since been used on in-ear mixes for numerous vocalists, and they all appreciate the fact that it's unobtrusive and respects the character of their voice.

Mr Neve surely knew what he was doing...
Last years must have been a challenge for him striving towards clean designs when everybody wants 'colour'...

Rogy

Decades ago I remember having a chat at aes with Rupert. We discussed a wireless world article  that described the 3 transistor amplifier.  Came out in the early 60’s. It was the spark of light read by Barry porter,  dick sweatham, and Rupert neve. They all took that idea and made circuits with it, all sounding different, all unique in their own right. It was a fascinating conversation that I wish I could have recorded.  Lots of nuggets of info were dropped

A handfull of off the shelf components coupled to transformers of a known overload characteristic, we've forgotten a lot more than we thought we knew about musicality trying to rely on % dist. as the benchmark,Fare thee well Sir Rupert on the stairway.....

Latest posts

Back