Anyone seen this capsule?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingkorg

Has anyone tested this one yet? Just ordered one.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNljMSB

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210217-061215_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20210217-061215_AliExpress.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 38
There seem to be 4 options - 2 for the 13.5mm and 2 for the 15mm.

Reviews included the  (presumably translated into English?) comment:  "Normal Chinese capsule. Like everyone else, it's a lot too high. The seller packed perfectly, armored. Carton box, inside foam box, plastic box with drip wrapped in many layers of film"

The specs for the 15mm version  include a strange line at point 7:

34mmX15mm parameter:
1: Sensitivity -35 (± 3) dB (at 1 kHz 0 dB = 1 V / Pa)
2: point to the characteristics of heart-shaped (at 1KHz)
3. Frequency response 70Hz-15KHz
4. Maximum sound pressure level 36dB( dB (at 1KHz≤1% T.H.D)
5. Reference working voltage 5V-48V
6:Power Requirement: 48V Phantom Power
7:Circuit board requirements:
Front board can be connected, 48v and 60v polarized boards are not compatible

If the 'polarized boards'  are not compatible, is this version an electret?

Be interesting to read about what actually turns up!

rogs said:
Reviews included the  (presumably translated into English?) comment:  "Normal Chinese capsule. Like everyone else, it's a lot too high. The seller packed perfectly, armored. Carton box, inside foam box, plastic box with drip wrapped in many layers of film"

It's Russian. "Standard" Chinese quality, highs are boosted as usual. Two Russian buyers claim that it has HF boost and another one claims he doesn't hear any.

Yes the picture intrigues me, but it’ll be interesting to see what shows and what it actually is.

From the picture, it doesn’t seem like anything I’ve seen anywhere.

Recording Engineer said:
From the picture, it doesn’t seem like anything I’ve seen anywhere.

The 34x13.5 model seems like a normal K67 type Chinese capsule,
but the 34x15 model it's quite strange, it might be an Electret, what do you guys think?

It has arrived.  Sadly measures and sounds disappointing. Peaks about 5db at 4-5khz, and rolls off significantly already at 8K. Sounds very lo-fi, and has a peak where you need it the least. Kick in mic maybe?

It's an electret. Nothing wrong with that inherently.

I still have some hopes, it can be easily modified, similar design to AKG large capsules. So backplate chamber volume, and holes can be easily tinkered with. 

I like how it looks with front disk removed. Btw removing the disk doesn't change the response.

bDhtoEb.jpg

PYmDCUi.jpg

Ok, here's an update. The backplates are separated with 3 of these paper spacers. By removing 1 of these high end bump  gets reduced, and you get the modded response seen in the graph below.

It sounds really nice. Very warm, ribbon vibe. I can most certainly use it now, somewhere where 8K and above isn't needed. Guitar cabs, vibey vocals...

N9C3iqw.jpg

Green response is the modded one.

UdWyWgX.jpg

Not sure what you mean. Red one is  stock, green one is with one spacer removed.

My reference mics for measurements are calibrated Beyerdynamic MM1 and Line Audio CM4.

It's just the cut off point artefact, sometimes that happens in REW, not sure why. Anyway it's the software, not the capsule it self.

can I ask how is your setup for measuring them? i was seeing this video today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJle8L-GQ8 they have one on how measure speakers without an anechoic room.

You don't really need an anechoic room. I do it in a dead vocal booth and i use a flat calibrated cardioid mic as a reference mic. No point in using an omni mic as a reference for measuring a cardioid. I double check sometimes with an omni.

A lot of companies use small booths or chambers. Neumann uses also a small one for production run quality check. Large ones are used mostly for developing.

I am not really interested in what's going on  below 500hz, condensers are mostly linear there unless the circuit isn't.

I use mostly 10ms iR window ;)

Next best thing if you don't have anechoic chamber is free. You do it outside ;)

If i am especially interested in the capsule measurement i don't use any headbasket, and i use a custom made body that doesn't affect the sound. The capsule is basically floating in the air free of all disturbances. I make sure there is no EMI, and if there is a tiny amount it's visible only at 50hz. 

Ok, here's an update. The backplates are separated with 3 of these paper spacers. By removing 1 of these high end bump gets reduced, and you get the modded response seen in the graph below.

It sounds really nice. Very warm, ribbon vibe. I can most certainly use it now, somewhere where 8K and above isn't needed. Guitar cabs, vibey vocals...

N9C3iqw.jpg

Green response is the modded one.

UdWyWgX.jpg
I almost said "That measurement looks great, what's wrong?", then I saw the roll off and that there's pretty much nothing after 10K. It's cool that it sounds good after the mod, but that roll off is a bit too early and steep for me to want to try it.

Back