What happened to analogconsole forum?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furn1979

forum.analogconsole.com looks down.

It was a gold mine of information... Is it gone for good?

I moderated a few sections there, but it quietly died.

I used to keep up with the owner, but have lost track.

It was once a good forum, like the now-dead MCI forum.

Bri

Brian Roth said:

Bri

Bummer... if the data still exists, a searchable archive would be nice.

Brian Roth said:

Bri

I was the admin and creator of the MCI forum, with the help of a friend we set up the forum, around 2009 I contacted Larry Lamoray the owner of the now extinct MCIrecording.com domain site, Larry was a former MCI employee/designer and friend of the Harned family, I asked him if he was interested on a forum managed by myself completely for free and he agreed with one condition "No Sony talk", he resented Sony a lot, perhaps due to the fact that after Sony bought MCI, at some point fired Jeep and ended up killing MCI, from what I gather, MCI was more a family than a company and everyone who worked there really ended up loving it, in fact I recall that just after we set up the forum, he told me that the widow of Jeep Harned was quite pleased with the attention her husband's company was getting, Larry was also very pleased "We never thought that the equipment we made would still be used and respected after 30+ years" he said.

For reasons beyond my control (I wasn't the admin of the server, I was just the admin of the forum) all the posts of the forum were suddenly gone with no way to retrieve them, a lot of great info was lost along with several schematics, manuals, mods, etc..., still, members continued to post new threads.  At some point, Larry decided that he no longer wanted to continue paying for the server/domain, so the forum was destined for oblivion, one of the forum members stepped up and offered to pay the fees for the domain and move the site to another server to keep it running, however, I am not sure what really happened next, the site became very erratic, you could sometimes access it, sometimes not, some times it would be down for weeks or  even months to suddenly come back again out of the blue for a while, for these reasons, participation from members was very low, eventually the site went away and never came back, I don't know if the new guy just didn't want to keep paying or didn't have the time to mantain the server. A real shame.

A facebook group for the JH-500 console was created afterwards and some members are there, but it's not the same as the original forum, to start, its only for the 500 console, the forum used to cover everything from tape machines to all the MCI consoles, I believe there is also a JH-600 group somewhere, but I am not sure.

Latest posts

Back