Another microphone mod company?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Looking around the web for microphone stuff I found this today.

https://www.signalartelectronics.com/

Funny I read about the ST microphones. I disagree about the transformers they sound fine to me.

I have a few adjustments to the 51/151 models. In one I remove 3 or 4 parts this depend on what is wanted and add back 7 parts. I don't change the transformer.

Gus said:
Looking around the web for microphone stuff I found this today.

https://www.signalartelectronics.com/

Funny I read about the ST microphones. I disagree about the transformers they sound fine to me.

+1
I've molested those transformers heavily. They are very low in thd, low phase shift, and measure beter than most "upgrades" with substantially smaller cores. The only issue i have with these is that i can't find source where they come from, and buy a dosen. So if anyone knows...

But again, people might be after those artifacts.

I’ve seen them around a while. If I had never crossed-paths with Chris at Barbaric, I probably would have dealt with them at some-point; probably in the form of one of their complete-build offerings.

I agree some of these cheap stock transformers are really good now, but I think many are always trying to find more mojo under every rock of possibility.

I just read the st69 part. The  6205 is the same as a 5840 except for the grid 3

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/138/5/5840.pdf

Then I read the WA-47 part using a 5751 didn't SPA do this first?

ST51
I will sometimes leave the stock what looks to be Mylar 1000pf input cap instead of changing it to a polystyrene.
IIRC Rossi posted sometimes liking Mylars at input of a microphone circuit years ago at this forum

Yes I noticed the 5751 use in the WA-47 when it was first released. Yes SPA did that (it was Stephen’s favorite tube), but I wouldn’t think that was commonly done.

I’ve never used anything WA, but the samples Sweetwater had when first released, the Jr. perked my ears more than the tube version. But, same kind of thing happened with Soyuz on me too.

I also wonder how the 6072/5751 on top of the Church schematic actually came about, when I believe all/most? were done with 6072s. I also wonder the real difference there.

As far as i know this company was started by the guy who designed the warm wa-47, wasn't happy with it, so started his own company to do better.

Ricardus said:
I've heard any number of 57 upgrades, including the transformer upgrade they do, and prefer the stock Shure trafo. Either on purpose or on accident, Shure got this one right.

Better even is not using an 57 at all and using any of the million other mics that sound better

;D ;D ;D ;D

Technology has dissolved many barriers, look at astounding amount of content uploaded to utbe every minute.

This mic company really looks like DIYer trying to make a business out of hobby. Can't say the thought has not crossed my mind; one would have to resort to poetry ie:"bolder sonic imprint and more voluptuous soundstage than ever before."

I like the beezneez swivel connector on their 'elam'. when Ben was selling them on here he said they were proprietary so I opted out SA says they are 'historically correct Binder'

https://www.signalartelectronics.com/product-page/ela-m-251

shabtek said:
This mic company really looks like DIYer trying to make a business out of hobby.

Yes, if also feels the same way to me, and there's nothing wrong with that I just find it over tedious and in a verge of scamming all the text and "poetry" they write, that kills it for me

wlinart said:
As far as i know this company was started by the guy who designed the warm wa-47, wasn't happy with it, so started his own company to do better.

This is correct.  Lots of people appear happy with his work, and he seems to know what he's talking about in tech conversations. 

Everyone's ad copy is total crap, I'm trying to give up on that rage.  Most is full of borderline lies, because the target audience is so ignorant they can't make sense of facts. 

I don't understand all the tech tidbits like capacitor and resistor minutiae and name dropping niche manufacturers in ad copy (not just this guy but everywhere)...to the uninitiated it may seem like speaking latin in church.
I don't think neumann does that, it is understood that they are at the vanguard. But do buyers of tuned up base chinese mics know or care about boutique capsule and transformer makers? where the power cord and wooden boxes are made?

the future is now

Ricardus said:
Agreed. I don't even own one. But I know the 57 has fans and I didn't want to malign it.

I have 3 and I don't use them for at least 10 years, maybe I should give them to someone that needs them.

Off course saying this, I don't use them because I have other mics that I think are better, but if you only have a 57 there's nothing wrong with that.
The only thing that I find ridiculous is to spend $150 to modify an SM57 with another transformer, the sound difference is not that relevant, but the price difference is, it continues to sound like an 57 after the mod...

I still think a 57 on a modern rock/metal snare and guitar is hard to beat( not that there’s tons of other options now. I do think the transformerless 57 is worthwhile on non-rock/metal guitar. Based on all samples I’ve heard, I agree that I can ignore all the 57 transformer alternatives.

Ive a bunch of the unidyne predecessors to the 57 , not something I use that often but still nice to have these coloured sounding mics when that midrange honky punch through is required .
Remember Phil Collins and Hugh Padgham made a fecking mint off a battery powered Eagle condenser mic through the talkback channel of the SSL's way back when ,
right ,wrong,good, bad or indifferent.
At times a technically 'poor' sound has just the desired effect .
If you are looking to get rid of the 57's Whoops I'll pay postage on 'um  :D

I used an SM56 on snare at 25th Street Recording in Oakland and it was absolutely amazing. I’ve been tempted so many times to shell out the money for one, but being that I may need to go through a small handful to find such a beautiful sounding specimen, at those prices, I’ve decided not to go down that path; at least I keep telling myself that every time the urge shows up.

Recording Engineer said:
I still think a 57 on a modern rock/metal snare and guitar is hard to beat

Sorry to disagree but I think they're pretty easy to beat, there's a lot of more interesting and better sounding mics for snare and guitar , being it Modern Rock/metal or any other style.

I will just agree that the 57 will get the job done

Latest posts

Back