XLR Mod for Acousta P100 with LEMO connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipMarlowe

Hey there,

I'm about to get my hands on a vintage Acousta P100 which is a replica of a studer mixer. Unfortunately it's the version with Lemo instead of XLR connectors. These 3pin Lemo connectors are hard to source, and very expensive and seem to be a pitb to solder cables for.
Can anyone talk from experience?
I asked an austrian console repair shop and they said that from a cost-perspective it would be cheaper to make Lemo-XLR adapters since they would have to drill bigger holes. My question is how easy or feasible is it mod the backpanel with XLR connectors oneself? I would have access to metal drills at my school.
Or would it be much less of a hassle to just pay someone with the tools to solder lemo connectors for a snake of xlr-lemo adapters?

I'm a newbie when it comes to modding boards, and judging from the pictures it might be quite an act to disconnect the backpanel connectors to desolder the connectors, or is it not a big deal?

I uploaded some pics to show how the channel strip looks like. This isn't the board I'm getting but the lemo connectors will be the same. The channel strip pictures are from a xlr version of this board. I appreciate any ideas

Thanks a bunch, guys!

Attachments

• ulryoquk1lixjcvayu2x.jpg
    ulryoquk1lixjcvayu2x.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 37
Hi,

Shouldn't be that hard to drill out the holes to make them bigger for the XLR connectors and add two more holes for the screws.
Would be interesting to see how the Lemos are connected internally, either via a little PCB or just cables.

But I think it's definitely doable.

Coop said:
Hi,

Shouldn't be that hard to drill out the holes to make them bigger for the XLR connectors and add two more holes for the screws.
Would be interesting to see how the Lemos are connected internally, either via a little PCB or just cables.

But I think it's definitely doable.

I replaced all the channels with XLRs. The wiring and PCBs are entirely different than the Lemo version. I just used copper wire to bridge the connections and wired them according to the numbers. It worked out fine for the channels, however the aux in L/R is giving me troubles. If anyone knows the layout for Lemo 5pins please let me know. I only got the right channel to work and I'm not sure where I went wrong

Just did a little google search. Pin layout for the Lemo 5pin is, according to the schematic:

1: L hot
2: L cold
3: R hot
4: ground
5: R cold

Coop said:
Just did a little google search. Pin layout for the Lemo 5pin is, according to the schematic:

Thanks brah. I saw that and tried it but unfortunately it did not work with mine. Not sure if it's a faulty solder joint, my 5 pin xlr cable is soldered wrong or if it's a combination of both. I still only managed to get the right channel aux in working. Guess I'll have to trouble shoot when I have more time. Thanks for sharing though

Thanks brah. I saw that and tried it but unfortunately it did not work with mine. Not sure if it's a faulty solder joint, my 5 pin xlr cable is soldered wrong or if it's a combination of both. I still only managed to get the right channel aux in working. Guess I'll have to trouble shoot when I have more time. Thanks for sharing though
Hey! I also have a Lemo version Acousta P100. I have thought about the mod too. I might even try it. The problem is that there's such little space behind the connector.

The pinout for the stereo bus-in is weird, and in fact the pinout shown there was from what I deduced. It works well on mine.

LEMO 5:

I have a friend who has the XLR version and his config is:

1 - L cold
2 - L hot
3 - R cold
4 - R hot
5 - ground