Multiple outs questions 1272>LO1166 Neve

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Hi,

I have a simple 1272 summing bus in my console and I'm trying to find info on how to wire a mult for the main outs. Can someone direct me to the schematic or just mention how Neve would have done this . .
Do I just add another LO1166 with the primary connected to the 1272 unbalanced output? So, each out would be driving 2 Xformers with 2 loads?

And to answer an obvious question. The two outs would be 1. Main outs with the ability to drive 600 ohms 2. Might be feeding an unbalanced -10dB, high impedance input (monitor amp)

Are both transformers necessary or can I possibly just tap the Neve unbalanced output at the same time that it's driving a 600 ohm load in parallel? Or would this be bad?

Can I possibly just tap the Neve unbalanced output at the same time that it's driving a 600 ohm load in parallel? Or would this be bad?

If splitting off the 1272's output into a high impedance input (balanced or not), the single 1166 should not be affected significantly. An example would be tapping a line driver's output to add a vu buffer.

Tx primaries will see a reflected impedance of whatever the secondaries are connected to, so perhaps someone else can explain what would happen if a 2nd tx was added (probably not advisable).

If your secondary load will always only be that -10dBv high impedance monitor amp then I would use the 1272's unbalanced output.  That 1272 unbalanced output is 4dB lower in level than the main out too which is closer to what -10dBv expects. 

Without adding another high current buffer, the 1272 can't drive 2 low impedance loads.  The output transistor on the 1272 amp has enough current to drive the 200 ohms that's reflected to the LO1166's primary when there's a 600 ohm secondary load, but not much more. 

Adding the equivalent of a 1271 would allow a second low z loaded outputl, which is how Neve did it on the big desks. 

Edit: I'm assuming we're keeping this all Neve so, alternatively, a 31267 10K:600 on the input of your monitor amp would drop the +4dBu to -10dBv and then you can just strap that across your main 1272 outputs as well as your other 600 ohm load. 

Latest posts

Back