TAC 16/8/2
« on: February 24, 2021, 07:18:15 AM »
Looking for a full schematics or service manual

Photo Link
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/45502787/tac-16-8-2-analog-recording-console-forum

The board is serial # 6 . Looked online but nothing. I already know this can be purchased , but I thought I try here first. Performing full recap service and cleaning for a fun project. Production date estimate is 1980 or thereabout. Its a blue version with nice appearance, reminds me of the first version Amek Angela . Many Plessy caps have 1979 date codes , so their likely still original.  The axial caps used are Phillips type with blue see through wrapping. Most of the cap values are still decent , but a fair amount have drifted high 20% + and are likely dried out.  Just recapped the Master pcb with Panasonic type FM. The entire console uses TLO72 /74 opamps, and Sowter 4623 (1:3) 600-3.8k iron on channels 1-16 xlr inputs. Ruwido pots and 60mm faders. Have replaced some of the Omeg 220k 16mm linear pots with Piher 16mm sealed nylon/plastic pots , the Omegs were'nt rotating smooth anymore and I located a stash of NOS Pihers square pots for cheap. The only issue with this mixer is its not modular so there's a good deal of time removing and refitting pcb's and re-soldering console wiring connections. Otherwise, the board is relatively easy to service. Unfortunately,  this mixer only has 60mm faders not 100mm ones found on the newer versions. Both Alps and P&G include 60mm faders that can be had as replacement parts from mid to high end mixers being parted out.

Some like the sound of these mixers , interested to hear what it sounds like when I finish.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 08:03:29 AM by electrochronic »
curiousaudioparts at  gmail  dot  com
https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/

jensenmann

Re: TAC 16/8/2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 05:40:23 AM »
I have one of these, too. It´s the 24 channel version, waiting for a refurb. It came from alte Oper Frankfurt, one of the most famous opera houses in Germany. They´ve been using it as FoH desk in the 80s.

Years ago I had a 16/8 FB, the stage-monitor version, which I butchered and turned into channelstrips. One of these racks resides in a friends mastering studio. It´s highly modified and gets used for stem mastering. These EQs can sound stellar with the right treatment.
Jens
Quote from: PRR
The tubes of course don't care what frequency they distort

3nity

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 08:24:32 PM »
Jensenman.
There's one for sale in my area 16/8/FB for only 300$.
It sure looks good though.

Let me know.
Life is a path, death the destination.

jensenmann

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 02:34:49 AM »
Let me know.

What exactly do you want to know?
I made a racking-thread about this particular desk in our german forum: http://www.energyrecording.de/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3092
Jens

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:04 PM »
16/8/FB ?  FB meaning fold back ? there seems to be many versions of this same 16/8/2 model, but all are relatively the same as far as EQ goes . I think the EQ has something to offer according to opinions. There are some attributes suitable for studio use.

Does the FB have only have 60mm faders or 100mm  ? The early 16/8/2 did not have the 4 concentric pots on the aux sends section , rather a single pot with a pushbutton switch to select.

Still hoping for a schematic as a baseline for repairs , quite a few mods are seen in these , in fact these remind me a little of a small Soundworkshop 1280 or Trident flexmix consoles , those too had transformers on the channels strips. I wonder if the 16/8/2 had any design relationship with the Amek 2k series console which also housed transformers on the channel strips but the original Angela Blue did not have any transformers to my understanding. I really like these older colored sounding mixers. I am not particularly impressed with the pcb quality of 16/8/2. The boards are single sided and the traces are not coated with soldermask, only tinned. The traces & pads tend to lift very easily. However, Its relatively easy to use copper tinned bus wire of various gauges to restore damaged traces. The nice thing is the boards are so simply laid out that I could redo the boards in pcb cad and have new ones made of higher quality. The only issue is the boards use some very costly pots that are non standards from parts distibutors , and I would not want to use Alpha as replacements. Would have to go to Piher or Vishay and order a load of custom sealed ones or scavenge from parted out consoles and strips. However this does not guarantee good parts. Dust & grime is the enemy in most of this stuff. That is why I go for the sealed pots if available. Nonetheless, can't wait to get this board sounding.

I'm going to replace the 4 pin ( xlr type ) Cannon power connector with something more durable. I found some Amphenol gold plated 5 pin (heavy gauge male/female connections ) military/aerospace connectors that should connect right up with a little handy work and a Amek +/-18 , +48 power supply. That 4 pin Cannon power connector is just to small and flimsy in my opinion. I like the isolation the Amphenol connectors offer.

looking back about 30 years ago , I remember finding a 16/8/2 in a local music consignment store but did'nt have the $ to buy it back then. Now , there dirt cheap.

Just read thru the EQ project forum , very encouraging that the EQ is so suitable for music. Quite a few mods as would be expected to enhance for mastering use. Also , this console is really flexible for the DIY recording enthusiast tech with a limited budget and appreciation for transformer coupled circuitry.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 01:06:04 AM by electrochronic »

jensenmann

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 05:26:00 AM »
You can find schematics of the channels in the link I posted.
Yes, FB means foldback. It had no faders at all in the channels, only 8x 100mm faders for the master outputs.

The Amek 2016 was a discrete design, so both desks share nothing in common circuitwise.
The Angela EQ is very similar to the 16/8/2 while the Angela micpre is transformerless.
Jens

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 07:16:49 AM »
You can find schematics of the channels in the link I posted.

Saw the channel strip but the latter half is cutoff. Also looking for the Master schem. Need the corresponding component values and silk locals to check values from the schem , some strips have seen repairs, so I need a baseline to see what may have been changed. thanks