TAC 16/8/2

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one of these, too. It´s the 24 channel version, waiting for a refurb. It came from alte Oper Frankfurt, one of the most famous opera houses in Germany. They´ve been using it as FoH desk in the 80s.

Years ago I had a 16/8 FB, the stage-monitor version, which I butchered and turned into channelstrips. One of these racks resides in a friends mastering studio. It´s highly modified and gets used for stem mastering. These EQs can sound stellar with the right treatment.

Jensenman.
There's one for sale in my area 16/8/FB for only 300$.
It sure looks good though.

Let me know.

You can find schematics of the channels in the link I posted.
Yes, FB means foldback. It had no faders at all in the channels, only 8x 100mm faders for the master outputs.

The Amek 2016 was a discrete design, so both desks share nothing in common circuitwise.
The Angela EQ is very similar to the 16/8/2 while the Angela micpre is transformerless.

Question : What was the original power supply for this TAC 16/8/2 ? Was it the TAC 500 (black) rack mount power supply ? Is there a schematic for it and did it have any shortfalls in the design or reliability issues ? I believe the power supply rails are ~ +/- 17.5 (18) @ 5A ea and +48 with on/off switch .

Last edited:
That´s the original PSU for the 16/8/2. It´s a very simple but effective design. There´s no reason not to use it. As with all old PSUs it makes sense to recap it, resolder all spots which carry high currents and renew the thermal grease of the regulators and power transistors.

What exactly do you want to know?
I made a racking-thread about this particular desk in our german forum: Amek/TAC Racking Projekt - Techtalk
Thank you so much for the great mod information. I am in Australia and was give a Tac Scorpion Foldback desk. Is there any chance you could send me the link to the schematic or email me it, so I can rack some channels. Thank you so much, [email protected]
Vielen Dank für die tollen Mod-Informationen. Ich bin in Australien und bekam einen Tac Scorpion Foldback Schreibtisch. Besteht die Möglichkeit, dass Sie mir den Link zum Schaltplan schicken oder ihn mir per E-Mail schicken könnten, damit ich einige Kanäle zusammenstellen kann. Vielen Dank, [email protected]

Latest posts

Back