xfmr question for i/p & o/p of my channel strip

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigugly

Hey,

This post relates to my post on tants in "N" type pres. My goal is to have a good quality channel strip for my studio. I've based my pre circuit on the 1290 and have a ? regarding xfmrs.

Soundguy suggested in my other post about using Lundahls because I'm looking for a more modern sound. From what I've read the vintage i/p trannie 300/1k2 pri, 1k2/4k8 sec and it was wired for the 10xx series as switchable between 300/1k2 on the primary but the sec. was alway 4k8.

I guess my question is this: should I just get a 1:4 xfmr regardless of the rating (just in the ballpark) or should I make sure that the secondary is around 5k.

These are the ones I'm looking @ for input
Cinemag CMMI-5C
Luundahl LL1528 - LL7903
Sowter 9160
Jensen JT-13K7-A

Last question I promise. :grin:

Is there anyone who makes a gapped core o/p tranny besides Carnhill?

Thanks,

James
Big Ugly Van Audio

www.audiolink.com.br makes a gapped output transformer specially for that works worderfully at the BA283 output stage! It´s 600:600 thought, but I guess you could ask him to do a 150:600 version for more gain, like the original!

I´m still curious to know what would be the probable consequences of a shorted coupling tantalum in a NEVE preamp. I´m thinking about using electros on mine also, because I think a shorted coupling TANT could fry my input transformer. Anyone???

Latest posts

Back