So yeah, the PC people have won once again..

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 37518

I just recieved this e-mail from Gearslutz:

"Hello from Gearslutz - for what may possibly be the last time! We are expecting to be able to announce our forthcoming name change soon, so please stay tuned to the forum for the big reveal - by the next newsletter we may very well be using the new name for site communications. Hope you’re otherwise well - looks like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel pandemic-wise so our fingers are crossed that some version of normality will be upon us again soon. In the meantime, here’s what’s new with GS!"

I just want to say something, where can I sign so in the distant future my name is not associated with this dumb ass movement and generation? I don't want kids from 2100 taking a history course on the most ridiculous time of human kind and saying "My greatgrandpa was part of it"

user 37518 said:

"Hello from Gearslutz - for what may possibly be the last time! We are expecting to be able to announce our forthcoming name change soon, so please stay tuned to the forum for the big reveal - by the next newsletter we may very well be using the new name for site communications. Hope you’re otherwise well - looks like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel pandemic-wise so our fingers are crossed that some version of normality will be upon us again soon. In the meantime, here’s what’s new with GS!"

I just want to say something, where can I sign so in the distant future my name is not associated with this dumb ass movement and generation? I don't want kids from 2100 taking a history course on the most ridiculous time of human kind and saying "My greatgrandpa was part of it"
Being embarrassed by how history treats this ASSumes that the cancel culture eventually gets cancelled itself... For now they appear to be gaining power, not losing momentum. Nobody is safe.

Gearslutz is just trying to appease the cancel monsters preemptively but that rarely works long term.

I am an optimist but see nothing to be optimistic about regarding how this is all playing out (Not just Gearslutz but pretty much everything). 

JR

I am all for the name change as it opens up some educational partnerships with Gearslutz that, because of the title, was not suitable for children or our funding channels. That said, we still use it, now I can simply work with them in an official capacity.

All that said, Gearslutz promo for our CTC build in the works!

as a native english speaker it always seemed a little inappropriate and offensive
I let my kids watch ward eddy and the beav--let 'em see somthing that is not trying to be vulgar.

I am ashamed of the acceptance of 4 years of indecency from the apprentice/u.s. chief and the embrace of crony culture

user 37518 said:

where can I sign so in the distant future my name is not associated with this dumb ass movement and generation? I don't want kids from 2100 taking a history course on the most ridiculous time of human kind and saying "My greatgrandpa was part of it"

we are all part of it

I teach electronics at a university, and I asked my 20 something students to tell me their opinions on free speech VS feelings/triggering, etc,, and I had a variety of interesting responses, one of them told me "free speech should end when someone gets offended", I mean, isn't that the whole purpose of free speech? saying what you believe even if you risk offending people?, now Im not saying you should be able to publicly offend people like calling someone the N word as such, but when you make a statement you are always risking offending someone, politics for example, religion is another one, I am a catholic, should I be supressed to speak up my mind (in a pollite way of course) because a Lutheran gets offended with my comments? or the other way around, should I supress an atheist for not having my same beliefs just because I don't like what he/she says? when did feelings became more important than truth or opinion?

Thats the other one, we are now in an era of social judgement, no one cares about proof anymore, you are guilty before proven otherwise, take for instance Johnny Deep, I am not sure what happened there but from what I've heard, his girlfriend? said some things about him, and he instantly got all his movies removed from Netflix, no questions asked, then it turned out that the allegations were not true, that in fact his girlfriend was the wrong one. In Mexico during the start of the #Meetoo movement some woman made some sexual allegations about a musician, he felt so frustrated that he commited suicide very few days afterwards leaving a letter claiming that he was innocent but that he felt that his career was ruined and there was no turning back even if he was proven innocent, now, was he innocent? I don't know, but this tells you the state of things right now. A professor at a university was fired because one female student claimed he commited sexual innuendo, then the same girl went out to the public saying that it wasn't true, that she was conducting a "social experiment", she should have gone to jail, but instead no one did nothing, I don't know if the professor got his job back or not, but I can bet that he wont ever recover his reputation after that.

I've heard from several comedians that they no longer go to universities because they always get booed off stage, if you can't make fun of anything or anyone, how can you make a joke? isn't that the whole foundation of comedy? blacks making fun of whites, men making fun of women or women of men? I am Mexican (living in Mexico BTW), the other day I heard a joke from some radio talk show from the US, some woman said "My favorite people in the world are mexicans" and some guy replied "they are my favorite people too as long as they are legal", I freaking laughed my ass off, but I am sure they probably got hate mail and death threats for that, people need to chill the f**k down, not everything is against you, if there is a site called Gearslutz its not because they are trying to make woman inferior, Jesus Christ!

I think there are $$$$ considerations involved in the name change.  It's no different than the "Attack on Christmas" nonsense--people in stores are going to say "happy holidays" because the stores want everybody to come in and spend money, not just Christians.  Having a site name that offends a segment of the audience (and likely gets blocked by more than a few corporate/govt. firewalls) is not, generally speaking, the best business model--and of all the pro audio sites I've frequented, gearslutz is probably the most business-y of the bunch. 

hodad said:
I think there are $$$$ considerations involved in the name change.  It's no different than the "Attack on Christmas" nonsense--people in stores are going to say "happy holidays" because the stores want everybody to come in and spend money, not just Christians.  Having a site name that offends a segment of the audience (and likely gets blocked by more than a few corporate/govt. firewalls) is not, generally speaking, the best business model--and of all the pro audio sites I've frequented, gearslutz is probably the most business-y of the bunch.

Agreed, Gearslutz might be considered as offensive, but man!, they are now saying that Beethoven's 5th symphony is racist! I am freaking serious https://slippedisc.com/2020/09/beethovens-5th-is-a-symbol-of-exclusion-and-elitism/

The bottom line is free speech protects us from the follow-up move which is to make some forms of speech compulsory (Last year's Canadian bill C16 comes to mind). Of course it should always remain illegal to cry 'fire' in a crowded room, but no one should be forced to speak or think in a certain way by order of law or tribe.

"Better the enemy you know" (Can't measure society by their words if many fear being candid)
"In order to be able to think, you have to risk being offensive”

PC culture itself is the truest representation of severe racism, misogyny, and all the other things it is supposed to fight.

When I speak to my friends of other ethnicities, it's usually a PC nightmare. Jokes and sarcastic remarks are extremely mean sometimes, but what happens? Everybody's laughing. Because our "small society" is so far on the other side of racism, that even the most inappropriate racist joke won't be considered seriously. This is a true representation of a society that free of prejudice, and a society, where one has to self-police every word, is very opposite to it.

BTW in Russia, 99% of the people don't even know who SJWs are. Sometimes they are trying to push their agenda here, but even most western-oriented people consider them as crazy freaks.

dbelousov said:
PC culture itself is the truest representation of severe racism, misogyny, and all the other things it is supposed to fight.

When I speak to my friends of other ethnicities, it's usually a PC nightmare. Jokes and sarcastic remarks are extremely mean sometimes, but what happens? Everybody's laughing. Because our "small society" is so far on the other side of racism, that even the most inappropriate racist joke won't be considered seriously. This is a true representation of a society that free of prejudice, and a society, where one has to self-police every word, is very opposite to it.

BTW in Russia, 99% of the people don't even know who SJWs are. Sometimes they are trying to push their agenda here, but even most western-oriented people consider them as crazy freaks.

I LOVE Russia, I've had many russian teachers during my engineering education, to be honest they are still Soviets at heart, and very nationalists, you can tell by the way they act, they'll be teaching you something and they are like "This is the Kotelnikov theorem" and I'll be like "WTF is this guy talking about" after a while I realize it is the "Nyquist theorem" and I'll be like "hey thats the Nyquist theorem" and the professor was like "Noooo I said Kotelnikov, he invented it first", it always made me laugh that many things that the western world invented were also invented independently by the soviets, so for the soviets it has one name, for the rest another.

These professors would also do some funny stuff, for example if you had to use some sort of software for modelling or something like that and there was the american software and some european software, they will always use the european, anything but the american. I remember this time when my thesis advisor (who wasn't russian) told me, hey some guys from Keysight are goint to give us a presentation, do you want to come? and I was like yeah, and there was this Ukranian, ex-soviet professor, and the guys from Keysight who were american asked him "do you speak english?" and he said "yes, but I prefer speaking russian" hahahaha It always makes me laugh.

Also, let me say you guys have the absolutely best national anthem in the world. I hear it and feel goosebumps.

dbelousov said:
It's not nationalism, these are just facts :)

;D ;D ;D ;D see, thats what a russian would say, some time ago I saw a Youtube video of a guy explaining a way on how to solve quadratic equations in a new way told by Terry Tao who is one of the best mathematicians, and I started reading the comments and there was this russian guy who said something like "they teach this to us in primary school, its called the XXXX theorem" hahahaha so russian of him to say that

I suspect my comments will offend SOMEONE....

I was taught by my parents not to use the "N word" when I was a child, even though it was in common usage with other white kids I knew back in the 1960's.

Working in the music biz for decades, I knew various black musicians who would jokingly banter back and forth and call each other "N" which kinda freaked me out.

A few years ago I became close friends with Dave, a guy across the street... and some of his buddies.  They often would call each other "N" while we played hours of domino games at my kitchen table for $1.00 per game. 

"HEY "N"....shut up, set down your beer and slap a bone" was commonplace.  I just smiled while a bit uncomfortable in my mind.

One day, Dave wandered over to my house while I was sitting on the front porch and shouted (he is a noisy guy!  lol)  "Hey  Bri!!!  How ya' doing "N"?"

I somehow felt I had arrived into a different sort of acceptance!!

I never had the confidence to use that word (and NEVER will) talking to Dave (and other friends  who would likely take offense hearing it from a white guy), but I still feel it was a badge of honor when Dave called me that word!  Tis a complex world......

<I have my asbestos suit on here awaiting flaming replies>

Bri

Brian Roth said:
I suspect my comments will offend SOMEONE....

I was taught by my parents not to use the "N word" when I was a child, even though it was in common usage with other white kids I knew back in the 1960's.

Working in the music biz for decades, I knew various black musicians who would jokingly banter back and forth and call each other "N" which kinda freaked me out.

A few years ago I became close friends with Dave, a guy across the street... and some of his buddies.  They often would call each other "N" while we played hours of domino games at my kitchen table for $1.00 per game. 

"HEY "N"....shut up, set down your beer and slap a bone" was commonplace.  I just smiled while a bit uncomfortable in my mind.

One day, Dave wandered over to my house while I was sitting on the front porch and shouted (he is a noisy guy!  lol)  "Hey  Bri!!!  How ya' doing "N"?"

I somehow felt I had arrived into a different sort of acceptance!!

I never had the confidence to use that word (and NEVER will) talking to Dave (and other friends  who would likely take offense hearing it from a white guy), but I still feel it was a badge of honor when Dave called me that word!  Tis a complex world......

<I have my asbestos suit on here awaiting flaming replies>

Bri

Bri, I have known you since 09? 11? I cant remember, I have even met you in person, you are a great guy, and I truly say this, you shouldn't feel ashamed. You guys in the US have some issues, mostly because there are so many different kinds of people and ethnicities over there, "cosmopolitan" is the correct word, from an outer perspective I have to say this, you guys are always feeling uncomfortable, specially white people, you always feel that you might be offending someone.

Let me tell you a story: when I was in high school, I had an english teacher from Texas, he just got here from the US and he once told us in a very respectul way "Excuse me guys, I want to ask you something and if you feel offended please let me offer you an appology in advance and I wont do it again, but now that I am in Mexico, I have to ask, can I refer to people from your country as Mexicans?", to be honest we didn't even understand the question, we are in Mexico, our national anthem starts with the phrase "Mexicans at the cry of war", our passport says "Nationality: Mexican" and this guy is asking us if he can call us mexicans? WTF is going on? we were like "well, how else would you want to call us?", and basically this teacher told us that he felt that in the US the word "Mexican" is used in a derogatory way and he was so afraid to use it in Mexico!

To be honest we laughed so hard, and basically told him "quit fucking around man!", we are mexicans, we are proud to be mexicans, and you don't have to be so pollitically correct in this country. If you call people "moreno" which basically means "brown" or "tanned" they wont get offended, that whole "I am a mexican-american" and all that BS is just some PC from the US, we don't even use the word latino, thats a word you guys use, if you talk to a Colombian he will say "I am Colombian" if you talk to a Dominican he will say "I am Dominican" we will never say "I am latino" WTF does that even mean? its like going to europe and saying you people are "anglo" What????

Nobody gives a damn about such words when they are not in a racist context. They are used automatically without second thoughts. It just means that you have healthy relationships. It's exactly what I'm saying.

user 37518 said:
and basically this teacher told us that he felt that in the US the word "Mexican" is used in a derogatory way and he was so afraid to use it in Mexico!

My English friends are usually very surprised when I said to them that the self-name of Polish people is... the Polaks. (Almost?) every other Slavic people call them the same and it is NOT derogatory in ANY way. Actually "the Poles" term sounds extremely stupid and offensive for my Russian/English brain, but here we are.

user 37518 said:
people need to chill the f**k down, not everything is against you
right!
dbelousov said:
Nobody gives a damn about such words when they are not in a racist context.
he does
Brian Roth said:

I just smiled while a bit uncomfortable in my mind.
I never had the confidence to use that word (and NEVER will)
dbelousov said:
Nobody gives a damn about such words when they are not in a racist context. They are used automatically without second thoughts. It just means that you have healthy relationships. It's exactly what I'm saying.
that is true, however in online world [(where we are) and not @Brians house] ; facbook, a diy electronics forum, wherever--is there such thing as context or healthy relationships for these matters? 
Political correctness has been the source of ire since before online communication. but in those days every person was not a 'publisher or content producer'--which all posting here are.
It is easy to be bothered by that decreed through big media/corporate filters: PC messaging on broadcast television or corporate human resources department policies.

We are our own editors of NOT the worlds finest optional entertainment
So yeah, DIY people has won again

The U.S. Constitution only protects speech in the public sphere. Private speech is not protected. I can insist that my employee greet customers with “Happy Holidays” and not “Fuck You”. Perfectly legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back