Looking for an electronics expert to guide me in how to rack Soundcraft channels

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hallymusic

Hi,
I am looking for someone who can help me come up with a viable way to rack a few or maybe more of my Soundcraft Series 6000 input channels taken from a decommissioned desk. I would like to be able to still use these preamps and especially the channel eq sections. Happy to discuss fees for help and consultation with this job.
I look forward to hearing from interested experts
Thanks

abbey road d enfer said:
You don't really need an electronics expert to do that. What you want is someone who can identify the connections and moreover is skilled in mechanics.
Thanks for your reply, is this something you could advise or help with for an agreed fee
regards

hallymusic said:
Thanks for your reply, is this something you could advise or help with for an agreed fee
regards
I could help, as long as you explain exactly what you expect.
How many? that would determine the case size.
The only difficulty is cutting the metalwork to a length that fits in a 19" case, cutting the PCB, recreating some connections that disappear in doing so, machine a front panel and devise an attachment.
What is your level of competence with metalwork? With drafting?

abbey road d enfer said:
I could help, as long as you explain exactly what you expect.
How many? that would determine the case size.
The only difficulty is cutting the metalwork to a length that fits in a 19" case, cutting the PCB, recreating some connections that disappear in doing so, machine a front panel and devise an attachment.
What is your level of competence with metalwork? With drafting?

Hi, I was thinking I could build a custom type of sidecar unit to hold the modules which would sit next to the main console. The input modules would remain in a vertical position with the mic/ line inputs either accessible from behind or on a patchbay below with the line outs. The input modules are 19" long if my memory serves me right, I can confirm this when I'm in the studio tomorrow. I can do up a quick and dirty cad drawing of what I have in mind. My level of competence with metalwork is probably limited... I can definitely drill holes to specified sizes on my drill press? I am a very proficient woodworker so I can possibly transfer these skills if needed. With drafting, do u mean, designing, drawing, modelling on Cad software? If so, I am a longtime user of Autocad and I render in 3d Max, I am not a professional but have/ had enough knowledge to design and build my recording studio from scratch and realize that design. My soldering skills are pretty good at this stage, I am in the middle of soldering quite a few elco/ edac connections for my mixing console patchbay and it is not for the faint of heart.
Let me know if u think we can work together
Regards
hally

hallymusic said:
Hi, I was thinking I could build a custom type of sidecar unit to hold the modules which would sit next to the main console. The input modules would remain in a vertical position with the mic/ line inputs either accessible from behind or on a patchbay below with the line outs. The input modules are 19" long if my memory serves me right, I can confirm this when I'm in the studio tomorrow. I can do up a quick and dirty cad drawing of what I have in mind. My level of competence with metalwork is probably limited... I can definitely drill holes to specified sizes on my drill press? I am a very proficient woodworker so I can possibly transfer these skills if needed. With drafting, do u mean, designing, drawing, modelling on Cad software? If so, I am a longtime user of Autocad and I render in 3d Max, I am not a professional but have/ had enough knowledge to design and build my recording studio from scratch and realize that design. My soldering skills are pretty good at this stage, I am in the middle of soldering quite a few elco/ edac connections for my mixing console patchbay and it is not for the faint of heart.
Let me know if u think we can work together
Regards
hally
Since the work can be divided in two parts, one making an enclosure and the other soldering a few connectors and a PSU, you don't really need much help. Your competence go much further than drafting, so you can build it.
You just need to find a suitable PSU, which many members can help with. Connecting the I/O's and psu is just a matter of using the right connectors, which isn't hard. IIRC, the 6000 uses an HE10 connector for the PSU. These are ribbon type connectors, so you would need to fan out the ribbon cable to the PSU. Alternatively you could make a direct connection to the PCB. This is a 40-way connector, of which you would use only 5 or 6.
There will be many unused connections, such as bus, and solo logic.
The input connector is a Molex 0.016" pitch, which can easily be soldered to wires.

Hi,
I am looking for someone who can help me come up with a viable way to rack a few or maybe more of my Soundcraft Series 6000 input channels taken from a decommissioned desk. I would like to be able to still use these preamps and especially the channel eq sections. Happy to discuss fees for help and consultation with this job.
Thanks
HEY!!! Browse through the link down below and then let me know if my expertise and equipment design experiences meet your current requirements.

Some Of My Equipment & Systems Designs
(YES!!! I actually have designed everything that is shown here)!!!

JBW

/

Hi,
Thanks
Have you made any progress on getting your Soundcraft channels racked up? If not, have you reviewed the contents of my earlier post to you over a month ago? I'm here to help.....- IF - you would need it.

/

Hi,
Thanks
Earlier this morning I looked up the SOUNDCRAFT Series 6000 input channels and I happened to see that to rack up these channel strips that the enclosure is a 13U (22.75") high enclosure. Is this what you are wishing to accomplish? I have designed 12U rack enclosures before, so one more U shouldn't be any big deal. Let me know whether or not you wish to pursue this, OK? Do you have a power-supply for your channels? I could get you a 2U power-supply as well.

/

Earlier this morning I looked up the SOUNDCRAFT Series 6000 input channels and I happened to see that to rack up these channel strips that the enclosure is a 13U (22.75") high enclosure. Is this what you are wishing to accomplish? I have designed 12U rack enclosures before, so one more U shouldn't be any big deal. Let me know whether or not you wish to pursue this, OK? Do you have a power-supply for your channels? I could get you a 2U power-supply as well.
Racking mixer channels often implies shortening the metalwork in order to mount them horizontally in a 19" format.
Typically the fader is either completely removed or replaced with a rotary potentiometer. Of course it also implies shortening the PCB and reconnecting whatever needs be after the cut has been done. It's usually not a big task since most of the circuitry in the bottom of the module (aux sends/routing) is not used in a rack-mount configuration
This is something that must be discussed with the OP.

Racking mixer channels often implies shortening the metalwork in order to mount them horizontally in a 19" format.
Typically the fader is either completely removed or replaced with a rotary potentiometer. Of course it also implies shortening the PCB and reconnecting whatever needs be after the cut has been done. It's usually not a big task since most of the circuitry in the bottom of the module (aux sends/routing) is not used in a rack-mount configuration
This is something that must be discussed with the OP.
I understand what it takes to "rack up" something, but because the OP has only provided very basic and very sketchy information, I really have no idea of what their full intentions are. Whatever it is that they are needing to be done, I can do for them, but I don't know what it is that they want to do or how to do it!!!

In any case.....since I have already replied to this member 3-times during the past 5-weeks and they haven't responded back even once, I'm going to give up on this project. As you have mentioned elsewhere.....maybe they don't want - MY - personal help, despite all of the rack-mount equipment I have designed during the past 45-years!!! Why bother.....ya know???

I'm outta here!!!

/

Back