YouTube Channel Launch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinheronmusic

Hello!

I launched a new YouTube channel and my first video is up. Grab a whiskey, or tequila, or tea, or coffee, or wine, and come check it out!

https://youtu.be/zJLx8RcyC5U

Justin....interesting video!

How about a shoot-out when "abusing" the various LA-2 options?

Eons ago I accidentally set up a 1979 UREI reissue LA-2 while cutting a DI bass guitar track.  It was on a rock-ish track for an ad jingle.  I was running maybe 6-8 dB gain reduction but had the makeup gain so that I was SLAMMING the output of the box.  I continued using that "trick" ever since.

There is a sweet spot when a hardware LA-2 "barks but doesn't fart" on a bass guitar and it is sitting in a rock/pop/country type of song.

When solo-ed it sounds a bit gruff and rough, but works well in the mix because of the additional harmonics.

It sounded excellent for that task.  I've never found a plug in that sounds remotely close when doing that sort of abuse.  <g>

Bri

Brian Roth said:
Justin....interesting video!

How about a shoot-out when "abusing" the various LA-2 options?

Eons ago I accidentally set up a 1979 UREI reissue LA-2 while cutting a DI bass guitar track.  It was on a rock-ish track for an ad jingle.  I was running maybe 6-8 dB gain reduction but had the makeup gain so that I was SLAMMING the output of the box.  I continued using that "trick" ever since.

There is a sweet spot when a hardware LA-2 "barks but doesn't fart" on a bass guitar and it is sitting in a rock/pop/country type of song.

When solo-ed it sounds a bit gruff and rough, but works well in the mix because of the additional harmonics.

It sounded excellent for that task.  I've never found a plug in that sounds remotely close when doing that sort of abuse.  <g>

Bri

Hey! Thank you for the knowledge and idea! I have never used the LA2A in that way, but I love the idea of it. I will see what I can do here in my setup. Sometimes the ideas are flowing but I don't have a good song/context to choose from for demonstration. Saturation is most definitely on my radar of things to investigate in the future!

So the saturation is coming from the output stage of the LA2A? I wonder if my Carnhill 9600k:600R will be cleaner or more dirty than the 15k:600R?

I am honestly pretty humbled that more than half my views are from GroupDiy. I have always felt like an annoying little brother around here, but everyone really showed up to support, even if it was just for a few minutes. I am really happy to be a part of this community.

justinheronmusic said:
Hey! Thank you for the knowledge and idea! I have never used the LA2A in that way, but I love the idea of it. I will see what I can do here in my setup. Sometimes the ideas are flowing but I don't have a good song/context to choose from for demonstration. Saturation is most definitely on my radar of things to investigate in the future!

So the saturation is coming from the output stage of the LA2A? I wonder if my Carnhill 9600k:600R will be cleaner or more dirty than the 15k:600R?

I don't know how much is from the tubes heading into overload compared to output iron saturation. One would have to put it on a test bench.

Bri

Hey all!

Just wanted to update this thread. I just released my second video about the Hairball Audio 1176 Rev D. At the moment I am developing an SEO library for channel exposure, so I have to get the basic videos out.

https://youtu.be/iZBJcfXpDl4

I am going to do a video per Brian's suggestion on compressor saturation!! I'll use an attenuator and crank the outputs of the LA2A as well as the 1176 to try to get different drum sounds.

So far the release schedule is a Space Echo vid in mixing context, then the AMI UT10 vs Sowter 4383 video. I will have a Poor Man 670 shootout video on mix bus, then I will start getting into the Saturation videos, and then finally into interviews with studio owners, artist, comedy skits, and taking tours of people's studios and talking to them about what they do!!

Space Echo plugins vs Multivox Multi Echo video is up. Not too sure about how this one turned out. Might take it down and re work it.

Yes, I just felt there was too much commentary and not enough audio to sink your ears into - especially that I have the Multivox MultiEcho. I will reupload the video this weekend, in the meantime I have another video posted that is only commentary - and a little more personal - which I feel will help add some balance to the channel.

Dang, your video is gone. Will you reupload it?

Latest posts

Back