VU Meter Damaged

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I had a VU meter go down yesterday. I don't think I've ever run across that before. It's a Weston 1942. It was working and without warning started displaying level about 10dB down. With the same level input as the others. I confirmed this by feeding the meter directly form the test set via the series resistor. What could cause that? Partial damage to the rectifier?

I would bet a rectifier arm gave it up.  I've seen some that were fine, unused, not work on next attempt. 

EmRR said:
I would bet a rectifier arm gave it up.  I've seen some that were fine, unused, not work on next attempt.

Thanks Doug. Luckily  I had a set of 2042's that dropped right in. Makes me nervous though. There is a 1942 on the bay now. Hmmm. I guess I can wait.

Hi Paul,

As Doug said, if it is internally rectified it could be as simple as a diode failure.  I have restored other vintage meters by replacing the diode bridge.  Note that these are often Germanium diodes in vintage meters, so silicon won't give the correct reading.

If you need Ge diodes or other help with it, I'm right around the corner  :D

Mike

mjrippe said:
If you need Ge diodes or other help with it, I'm right around the corner  :D

Thanks Mike. If you can fix it you're hired! I wouldn't attempt that. I could drop it off or you are welcome to stop by.

Back