UA LA610 - T4 Repair Help - Silonex NSL-02-036-0429 or Substitute?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outoftune

I have an optical unit from a UA 610, have traced the problem to one of the photocells being dead.

The part number is NSL 02-036-0429

Does anyone know a source for this part or a currently available replacement?

Also, anyone successfully repaired one of these? Is there a method to test the EL panel to make sure it's good?

That’s an OEM part number. The actual part is probably NSL5910 from Luna Advanced Photonics (formerly Silonex), but there’s almost certainly a selection process at UA not only to match the cells for a given T4b, but also to select for the general photoresistor characteristics. Modern parts are inherently faster than the original Clairex CL505L that the 5910 replaces, so testing/sorting the LDRs is needed if you’re going for vintage characteristics. On the datasheets, CL505L and NSL5910 are identical. But in reality the batch bell curves for light and dark response times are not. UA and companies like Kenetek sweat those details. Some DIYers do and some don’t.

Given that only one of your photocells is dead, you’re likely to have to buy a fairly good sized batch to find a match for the good one. The cheaper alternative might be to find a new set of matched cells from a batch and replace them both. I say “might” because there’s a good chance that the unit will have different characteristics than what you originally had, which may or may not be noticeable to your ears. If that’s not acceptable to you, then you’ll just have to buy enough cells to find a match for the good one you have.

To see differences in a new set of cells vs your original good cell, you can do a compressed-signal amplitude vs time plot with the one good cell in the gain reduction position (as opposed to the meter position). Then do another identical test (using the same source material) with the new cells installed. Looking at the resulting pictures one on top of the other will show you any differences in attack/release times and in gain reduction level.

David Kulka from Studio Electronics has T4 stuff here and there. His ties to UA make him the first source to try IMO.

I’ve also had good luck with the cells that Frank at Curious Audio Parts sells. I have a small stash of original Clairex cells to compare to and the ones he sells are as close as you’ll find, as measured with the basic tests I’ve used. No idea how he sourced them. Really nice guy, too.

https://sites.google.com/site/diypartsstore/catalog/new-t4b-opto-el-panels

As far as testing a T4 or LDRs goes, there are many posts covering aspects of that subject over the years. Do a search on “T4b testing”, “photocell testing”, “photoresistor testing” etc and you’ll find quite a few methods for testing various aspects (and a lot of debate).

New link and I'm happy your satified with the LDR's , the process of matching is very time consuming.

-----

Commercial offers should be made in White Market...

JR

Last edited by a moderator:
One of those cells drives the vu meter which nobody uses anyway, you dial those things by ear. At least I do. So if the dead cell is the one doing the compressing,then simply swap it with the good cell and then maybe get a replacement cell for the vu side .

They quit making those cells because of the cadmium sulfide but there is still a supply out there somewhere.
I just found a radio shack light dependent resistor assortment pack on evil bay for cheap , the best sounding t4 I made used those cheap , well, you know,

One of those cells drives the vu meter which nobody uses anyway, you dial those things by ear. At least I do. So if the dead cell is the one doing the compressing,then simply swap it with the good cell and then maybe get a replacement cell for the vu side .

They quit making those cells because of the cadmium sulfide but there is still a supply out there somewhere.
I just found a radio shack light dependent resistor assortment pack on evil bay for cheap , the best sounding t4 I made used those cheap , well, you know,

Have you find any substitute for those "light emitting foils"? What property(ies) of them is so special that can't be replaced with cheaper/common alternatives?

Latest posts

Back