Fedex shutdown - anyone inside knowing what is going on?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyraf

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Hi Group,

Asking here in the hope that some of you may have inside info on what the h*** is going on with fedex

Effective more than a couple of weeks ago, fedex apparently terminated all IE (international economy) shipments from Europe to the US, possibly to the rest of world - without telling anyone.

It could be somehow understandable to change service in these strange times IF THEY NOTIFIED THEIR CUSTOMERS ABOUT IT (!!)

We're getting loads of emails from them telling us about covid and brexit handling and how to do better business with fedexing - but absolutely no mention ANYWHERE that all shipping IE is canceled.

Yesterday I was actually preparing an outgoing shipment, when a friend called me in panic and told me. After waiting more than an hour on hold at customer service, he was informed that all out-of-EU shipments are now just piled up at the fedex facility in Köln, Germany "until further notice". He has like five packages caught there since a couple of weeks ago..

Yet no mention of this when ordering a shipment - it still predicts like 4-6days to anywhere US.

We were told that shipping by priority service may get us there - but there's no way to change status on the package once you've shipped it into the black hole.

And there's no mention of this massive disruption of service. Anywhere...?!?

Any of you know things that I don't??

/Jakob E.

Hm weird,

we from ES Pro Audio have sent out quite a bit with Fedex from Germany to the US during the last weeks and didn't have any problems besides 2-3 days of extra delay.

Write me an email if you have trouble with FedEx. Maybe Erwin can help sending out your things through his business account.

Markus

Thanks, guys.

this continues to puzzle me, I so much didn't expect this from this company

Now I got a new (dis)explanation - about a roof collapsing in their Netherland facility, forcing use of the Cologne place. And contradicting info about whether this is a transient disruption or a policy-change-until-further-notice

And still nothing official to find on this anywhere, the ONLY way to get to know it is when you already lost your packages for more than a week or so AND you wait up to an hour on hold for their telephone customer service..

/Jakob E.

Roof collapse is real.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2368207-dak-van-loods-in-duiven-ingestort-vermoedelijk-door-sneeuw.html

That explains why my transformer from Don took so long to arrive, tracking kept saying "Duiven" and the transformer showed up in Paris after 10 days...

Now it's with me in the Netherlands.

All shipping seems weird at the mo, I’ve had a few missing Fedex in the last ~2 weeks but slowly things have been showing up. Brexit pile up / car crash.

Not aware of any official cancellations currently.

I ordered some faders from Mouser. They left Texas on Wednesday and they are due to be delivered today (Friday). The only delay was in the Mouser warehouse due to Covid.

Cheers

Ian

Mouser logistics are pretty rock solid indeed.

Stuff moving within Europe seems to take ages sometimes now.

Got a new doorbell, but that didn't help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp1OOBzkhT4  ;D

According to a relative, who works in this business, everything that centers around The Netherlands is disrupted, due to that roof caving in. Operations had to be spread over other hubs.

I got a parcel from within Belgium by post in a day. Another coming from The Netherlands with DHL standard transport, has been in "sorting" for a week now.

I've worked for one of the big ones. They're not very good at handling disruptions of any kind.

Back