Altec 436 / compression distortion?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynx_Lynx

Hi guys! I know this site is chock-full of 436 posts, but care for one more?

I built a an Altec 436 clone according to this slightly modified circuit. (I added a compression on/off switch between R12 and P4 that grounds the open end of the R12 resistor when the compression is bypassed.)

The amplifier sounds good when the comp is bypassed, no hums or buzzes, and during compression the controls do what they should, the meter moves and compression curve itself sounds about right.

However, when the compression kicks in (i.e. the meter moves) the signal clearly distors and it sounds quite ugly. This happens only during the transients (small & big), but not when the unit holds down compression. What could be causing this? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 436Cmodified.jpg
    436Cmodified.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 65
Have you measured voltages on the tubes and checked against the schematic ?

Have you tried different tubes and checked the balancing at the 6bc8 is set correctly ?

Sounds like imbalance in the 1st tube, have you trimmed the control per Dave's instructions?

EmRR said:
Sounds like imbalance in the 1st tube, have you trimmed the control per Dave's instructions?

Thanks for the replies! Sorry for replying sooner as I simply haven't had the time to get back to the build. I remember measuring that the voltages all over the unit were a bit on the high side.

I did not have a 250ohm pot on hand so I just balanced the voltages on the 1st tube by some resistors; however, I did not follow Dave's instructions to the letter. I have to get a pot and do the measurement scheme exactly. I'll report back.

-V

Back