The correct format to submit audio to radio stations
« on: March 20, 2021, 11:23:46 AM »
I know that FM radio uses 32khz sample rate digital .
I was just wondering if anyone knows is there a prefered format for submiting music ,
The tracks I want to send are originally 24bit 96khz , Im sure its only a press of a button for them to sample rate covert but preferably I want to be able to quality check whats going out on air rather than leaving it to chance.
Are there any other things I need to do considdering bandwidth at 16 khz would already be a few db down from flat @32khz FS?
I had someone suggest sending 16bit 44.1khz is the way its done ,but that makes little or no sense to me , 32khz is an easier multiple of 96khz for sample rate conversion, where 44.1 khz is likely to be more of an approximation and could possibly contain artifacts.

PermO

Re: The correct format to submit audio to radio stations
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 11:32:59 AM »
48Khz

That used to be the broadcast standard, al broadcast AD/DA's running at 48KHz.
My friend who records orchestral work for radio also delivers in that format.

I think these days anything should go probably.
"It's very important that you run trough the door, not trough the wall" - Sadhguru

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 02:11:39 PM »
I had someone suggest sending 16bit 44.1khz is the way its done ,but that makes little or no sense to me , 32khz is an easier multiple of 96khz for sample rate conversion, where 44.1 khz is likely to be more of an approximation and could possibly contain artifacts.
This is not an issue anymore since all modern SR converters use polyphase conversion, which is not subject to artefacts due to indivisibility.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 02:32:21 PM »
Send it 48kHz, 24 bit.   Let 'em SR convert etc. from there if need be. 
D. J. H.

The standard way to reduce much of the noise and distortion in audio gear in 1955 was to have a couple of beers.
 Anything else was too fiddlesome and too expensive.

PermO

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 02:45:29 PM »
I was just wondering, I might be on a different continent and different standards may apply here...
"It's very important that you run trough the door, not trough the wall" - Sadhguru

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »
I did find a comparison one time between different software based sample rate convertors , they were by no means equal in performance . Reaper appears to have several different quality settings for SRC .
The other question aside from sample rate is how to transfer the file , I guess memory stick might be one way to go alternatively offer the file for download , I guess I'll have to check it out with station itself to be sure .

PermO

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 04:25:17 PM »
Yes, check with the station and send them the files upfront, so they can upload the files in their players.

You could bring a backup stick just in case.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
I did find a comparison one time between different software based sample rate convertors , they were by no means equal in performance . Reaper appears to have several different quality settings for SRC .
The main difference between SRC's is the anti-alias filtering, but the algorthms are the same.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.