Does cable lenght matter in a stereo unit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

When building a stereo unit, do I have to match the cable lenghts from the XLR's to the PCB? (and maybe also the lenght of other cables as well...?)

Radiance,
The audiosignal travels with the speed of light,so I don't think a few cm matters.It DOES matter with digital signals.
Grtz,
Gert :grin:

If you use high-capacitance cables at high impedances, cable length COULD influence top-end rolloff. But you probably won't run into something like that..

Jakob E.

if you are talking about the hookup cable within the unit likley doesnt matter at all, but to get all theoretical about it, I would think that same lenghts of different types of cable would like have more of a sonic impact than differening lengths of the same cable. A few months ago I did lots of cable testing, and 10 foot lenghts of four or five different balanced cables yielded different sounding playback, however 10 foot and 30 foot lengths of the same cable didnt really come up with anything that two people could pick out blind with any consistency. Back to the world of practicality, the length of the hook up wire you use in the box probably isnt nearly as important as *where* you dress it inside the box.

dave

Back