Re: Neve Tube Mixer Front Panel

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a Dymo label, a trophy shop engraved type. 

The schematics posted are different from this mixer. 

More detailed pics here

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK5prt_AxCu/?igshid=13o7t03fg34fr

26642534679_7788f79da9_o.jpg

Looks like two different but pretty identical mixers to me. Is either of them represented by the schematics posted?

Cheers

Ian

Whoah, you worked on that, Doug?!?  Very cool.  I'm guessing you can't share the drawings you did. 

Interesting that it is not the same schematics.  The photos I have were in the same PDF as a copy of the schematics Heikki posted.  Just goes to show -Don't Trust Files from the Internet!

mjrippe said:
Whoah, you worked on that, Doug?!?  Very cool.  I'm guessing you can't share the drawings you did. 

Interesting that it is not the same schematics.  The photos I have were in the same PDF as a copy of the schematics Heikki posted.  Just goes to show -Don't Trust Files from the Internet!

I am pretty sure the ones I originally downloaded some years ago were posted by New York Dave. I am getting old and my memory sometimes fails me so this could be wrong. The schematics I saw were in much worse condition - the ones recently posted have been cleaned up pretty well.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Looks like two different but pretty identical mixers to me. Is either of them represented by the schematics posted?

Cheers

Ian

It's the same one.  By the time I had it the external case had been tossed, the meters 'upgraded', and the other early mod bits removed.  I was paid to reverse engineer it, another guy was paid to do some restoration work, I had it about a year.  We were sworn to secrecy about all details, I delivered new drawings to the owner which have my name and copyright on them, and I have not seen those surface.  The photo is the only one that was floating around at the time.  There's a pic of an earlier smaller one that have since surfaced, no other pics of this one other than mine, and no pics of any of the others.

So the  big questions is, if the schematics we have are not for the mixer in the picture, which mixer do the schematics refer to??

Cheers

IAn

Neve also did a custom one off tube mixer for Desmond Leslie ,
he only managed to collect 1/3 of the cash in the end I believe .
As you see its obviously quite similar to the one Doug had, but probably mostly line input for Mr Leslies vast array of tape machines .
I'd love to see some of R.N.s tube mic pre schems , maybe he used EF37a's as that was the best in its day in high gain/low noise tubes.

https://nationaltreasures.ie/submissions/1Z66UM

Could someone point me to the schematic links ?

Tubetec said:
Could someone point me to the schematic links ?

Hey David,
cleaned up versions of the schemes were posted in the technical docs section by Heikki:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=44877.60

Hmmmm the Mic pre is a bit different to anything Ive seen before , feedback in series with the input transformer secondary Im familiar with , well documented by Baxandall  in his designs , however feedback from a cathode follower output is new to me , tieing in pentode screen supply and the cathode volts is kinda crafty , whats going on at DC is obvious enough ,but my brain doesnt fully compute the AC implications of that .
As usual any insights welcome , ok its not like a Maihak or a Tele  of the time , Rupert was of much more modest means at that stage of his brilliance , the man himselfs modesty, lack of ego and belief in pushing out the boundaries of what is/was accepted audio 'fact' are inspirational  :)

The screen is decoupled to ground at ac so has no effect at audio frequencies. It is basically a dc coupled transistor pair done with valves.

Cheers

Ian

Back