Advice with non audio but electrical question please

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

Hello everybody,
I didn't really know where to post this... I want to install some "easy connect" system to my bike's battery. It's a pain to access it each time I have a problem and need to jump start it...
So, I thought maybe I could run some cables from the battery to an accessible spot (like under the seat or something like that), using some 5AWG 16mm² cable but I need to either isolate the other end or use some connector (that will be used with the jump starter).

My doubt is: what connector would widthstand the current needed to jump start the bike, or what removable cover/cap would be suitable for that purpose?

I know I can use some plain old isolation tape but would rather do something different :)
This would be the cable in question:

Thanks for your ideas! :)
Cheers
Sono

Marine grade, adhesive-lined shrink wrap might work on end connector.  Pre-shrink say, 2" dia and mash one end.

As for amp draw, starter should have a rating which would determine gauge. 8-10ga looks to be about size of wire used on standard motorcycle jumpers

Those look marginal... Look for more robust polarized two circuit male/female automptive/marine connectors that are impossible to connect reverse polarity.

3673ab86-1cee-4483-92f5-6e6cd9c55ed4.4ddd792c1a1dc01ce5cebc75f6fc17ce.jpeg

Inexpensive 12GA for a few dollars ($5.75) from Walmart...

JR

boji said:
Marine grade, adhesive-lined shrink wrap might work on end connector.  Pre-shrink say, 2" dia and mash one end.
Thanks for the idea ;)

JohnRoberts said:
Inexpensive 12GA for a few dollars ($5.75) from Walmart...
I had thought about the SAE connectors but was afraid they wouldn't stand the juice.

Jump start devices usually have clamps and I couldn't find any adapter to replace them for that kind of connector. I thought it would be because they're too weak.
I have seen those connectors on battery chargers though...

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

are you planning to carry a wire whip with alligator clamps?

15-amp-permanently-bonded-redblack-anderson-powerpole-connectors_300.jpg

'anderson connector'

shabtek said:
are you planning to carry a wire whip with alligator clamps?

The jump start device has one. I was planning to replace the alligator clamps with connectors.
How about EC5 connectors? They're used to connect the clamps to the main unit...

I could maybe cut the alligator clamps and make an EC5/O-ring adapter?

JohnRoberts said:
How many amps for how long?

JR

no idea TBH..... It's a Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200/70HP
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/h-d/harley_davidson_1200_custom%2013.htm
The jump starter says 800A. It's this one:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08G59MSP8?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

sonolink said:
no idea TBH..... It's a Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200/70HP
https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/h-d/harley_davidson_1200_custom%2013.htm
The jump starter says 800A. It's this one:
https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B08G59MSP8?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image
Sorry I don't habla that amazon page.

Try a connector, if the wires or junctions are too small, they will reveal themselves by getting very hot and/or melting.

JR

Well the main info on that page is:
"12800mAh 800A —— emergency car battery jump starter can start 12V vehicles (up to 6L gasoline or 5L diesel engines) in a few seconds with maximum current."

JohnRoberts said:
Try a connector, if the wires or junctions are too small, they will reveal themselves by getting very hot and/or melting.

That's precisely the situation I'm trying to prevent hehe, but thanks for the suggestion anyway ;)

sonolink said:
Well the main info on that page is:
"12800mAh 800A —— emergency car battery jump starter can start 12V vehicles (up to 6L gasoline or 5L diesel engines) in a few seconds with maximum current."

That's precisely the situation I'm trying to prevent hehe, but thanks for the suggestion anyway ;)
The question is not how much current the charger can supply (unless you connect it wrong), but how much current the motorcycle starter will draw... Car starter motors can draw several tens of amps, a motorcycle not so much.

Look at the gauge of wire used for the motorcycle battery cable this should be your upper limit for ampacity.

Neutrik powercons are rated for 20A 
81Kd8IWWMYL._AC_UL115_.jpg

while more expensive they make a 32A version
410uCvzuSyL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I would be surprised if your scooter melts the 32A powercon.

JR

I made up my mind. The jump start device uses an EC5 connector and a 10awg cable for the alligator clamps. So I'll just use the same: I'll cut the clamps off and install an EC5 connector on the device and
another one on the clamps (so I can use them with the car for instance) and on the battery I'll install this:

This way I can have an easy connection to my bike and I can plug the clamps back in case I need them 8)

Btw, it's not a scooter..... ;)

Cheers
Sono

sonolink said:
Btw, it's not a scooter..... ;)

Cheers
Sono
I know just teasing... I owned a couple of motorcycles when I was younger, mostly dirt bikes and one 2 stroke street rice rocket.

The beauty of trial and error is if at first you don't succeed you can pivot based on the new information and try again. I approve of using polarized connectors.

Good luck

JR

Latest posts

Back