The Suez Canal, oh oh.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im always amazed by the fact that some guy can manouver such monster, seems inconcievable to me.

user 37518 said:
Im always amazed by the fact that some guy can manouver such monster, seems inconcievable to me.

Well apparently he can’t, it ran aground. And that was in calm seas. The route they took apparently drew a penis on the computer screen prior to coming into the canal. 
Imagine if the seas were like this? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JffvTfVLs 

Calms seas? According to the news report you cited it was "knocked off course by strong winds"...

Anyways, statistically speaking it is only a matter of time until something like this happens...

living sounds said:
Calms seas? According to the news report you cited it was "knocked off course by strong winds"...

Anyways, statistically speaking it is only a matter of time until something like this happens...

Prior to the canal they drew a penis in their navigational system and traveled it. So yeah calm seas that eventually  a freak wind and sand storm kick up. Nothing crazy causing massive waves, just enough to push the boat around. See my second link about not calm seas.

JohnRoberts said:
Price of oil already responding, surprised it is still stuck. Apparently wind blew it onto sand bar.

JR

It’s been fascinating to watch the effort to get it off the sand bar. It’s basically 200,000 tonne  with current load and 1300 feet long. Not an easy task for sure.

pucho812 said:
It’s been fascinating to watch the effort to get it off the sand bar. It’s basically 200,000 tonne  with current load and 1300 feet long. Not an easy task for sure.
It seems one obvious strategy is to start unloading that puppy, but thousands of containers would take some significant time, reportedly causing possible toilet paper shortage.

JR

PS: Where is superman when we need him?

pucho812 said:
Prior to the canal they drew a ***** in their navigational system and traveled it. So yeah calm seas that eventually  a freak wind and sand storm kick up. Nothing crazy causing massive waves, just enough to push the boat around. See my second link about not calm seas.

Drawing that dick might be unfortunate in hindsight, but is there any causal link between that and the beaching?

I can't find the image but I saw a picture of a huge shovel trying to dig out the stuck container ship... Compared to the much larger ship the shovel looked like a tinker toy.

JR
ExQvs-oWEAU2A0c

JohnRoberts said:
I can't find the image but I saw a picture of a huge shovel trying to dig out the stuck container ship... Compared to the much larger ship the shovel looked like a tinker toy.

JR
ExQvs-oWEAU2A0c

Are you referring to this one?

Attachments

• 0AC15222-5DC2-4A80-A10A-EBF4F0DCFE55.jpeg
    0AC15222-5DC2-4A80-A10A-EBF4F0DCFE55.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 27
JohnRoberts said:
exactly....

JR

I read a few posts elsewhere talking about unskilled labor and the work involved basically saying that running a backhoe was unskilled labor. I disagreed, to run a backhoe with speed and precision takes a great deal of skill.  I hope they dislodge it soon.

on the lighter side of this,  my friend sent me a message with a stuck english narrow boat trying to do a u turn in a channel with the caption up close it's not so bad.

Back