The Suez Canal, oh oh.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
That has been the claim.  it is a plausible claim.  But as usual there are those, not me, who think it's a conspiracy, that the illuminate or whoever wanted to cause damage to the world economy.  If the conspiracy is true, they did a good job of making it happen without harming anyone.
Me I suspect the  canal pilot was on the sauce, a few drinks, however you wish to call it. The crew and regular pilot sure seemed to be on something. The path they took before the canal drew a few lewd images on the navigation screen. Imagine the canal pilot gets onboard and is treated with a drink and then another then finally crash into a sand bar.  Who knows.

I think it's far more likely that the canal is being run on the bleeding edge of failure, and failure finally caught up.

JohnRoberts said:
won't help...
===
I find it amusing that everybody is second guessing the explanation for this accident, but take everything else in the news as truth.

JR

Actually I was referencing the media reports rather than second guessing them. It's the truth as far as we currently know.

I believe very large ships like this have to start slowing down maybe 20 miles or more out , same time when they enter a port or canal they absolutely have to maintain a minimum forward speed or the effects of wind and tide can very easily become very unpredictable  . I guess no one apart from the people up on the bridge that day really know what happened .

I remember in the olden days boating in the local estuary ,it took a bit of time to learn helmsmanship , initially people tended to over correct  wildly and cut a zig zag path through the water , after a while you learn to apply corrections little and often, of course a little boat is quite forgiving where 220,000 tonnes isnt. Id expect nowadays with ship simulators pilots are probably better trained than ever before , still accidents happen .

Back