8-pole rotary switch - sources?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the sort of thing Blore Edwards might be able to help out with - they're really accommodating and very, very helpful. Failing that, I've picked up some pretty out-there rotary switches on eBay - there's some treasure in the trash, so it's not a bad place to look for a small number.

Thats a 12 position 2 deck switch. All the usual suspects make switches in that configuration. In the US its easy to source Electroswitch. A C4 or C5. Grayhill makes swwitches like that in multiple series.

Hadn't heard of Electroswitch. I knew about the stackable RS switches but hadn't found the pieces I wanted - thank you

I want to switch 2 channels of balanced audio and switch inputs (4 poles) and outputs (4 more poles) at the same time

I just worked out how to do it with relays - maybe neater, but not a passive solution like switches

Nick Froome

Blore Edwards offers that switch configuration in multiple series. Its not a custom order. If i was in the UK I’d do that.

Depending on impedances involved, you might also be able to use an analog gate IC. It could even be largely "passive" if you run it on two A23 batteries which would last pretty much for as long as batteries can last because the analog gate ICs usually consume microamps.

Gold said:
Blore Edwards offers that switch configuration in multiple series. Its not a custom order. If i was in the UK I’d do that.

I used BE for doing something just like this. Love they're switches.  Just make sure they are running at full capacity if you're in a hurry. It took me months to get them. I'm not speaking ill, just a heads up. I'll still use them in the future as the customer service is great. Everyone gets a pass on turn times for 2020!

I think in my case the cost of the switches outweighs the downsides of using relays. Cheap switches & relatively cheap relays looks like a better way than expensive switches. Will report back when I have time to work on this idea

Thanks for the info

Nick Froome

squarewave said:
Depending on impedances involved, you might also be able to use an analog gate IC. It could even be largely "passive" if you run it on two A23 batteries which would last pretty much for as long as batteries can last because the analog gate ICs usually consume microamps.
+1 for relays or CMOS switches.
Relays are easy as pie but takes some power, CMOS are ultra reliable as long as limits are not trespassed.

Latest posts

Back