CPU at -10 C

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

is it really possible to have -10 (minus 10) -20 Celsius on a CPU just with fans
(a lot of fans) !!!

(at around min 10:00 + he shows the CPU temps)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUbpb23yTK8&t=391s

With fans only, it is impossible to get temperatures lower than ambiant.
Now, if there are Peltier modules (active cooling), that may be possible.
In the absence of a proper description of the cooling system, we can only guess.

abbey road d enfer said:
With fans only, it is impossible to get temperatures lower than ambiant.
Now, if there are Peltier modules (active cooling), that may be possible.
In the absence of a proper description of the cooling system, we can only guess.
+1...

Peltier cooling can suck heat out of one side and transfer it to the other side of the peltier junction... It consumes power while doing that so you need to dissipate even more than just the heat you removed. I don't know how practical it would be for that application.

Peltier devices are good for getting small things very cold, not so good for moving a lot of heat IMO.

JR

Those numbers are obviously incorrect. The CPU temps are being reported incorrectly. One might hypothesize that the operator was deliberately negligent to attract attention to their video regardless of truth or instructional value. That seems to be the objective for most people posting things on Youtube.

Even a Peltier module would not work because condensation would form around the board and water and electroncis don't mix. Initially it would be frozen of course but around the edges it would melt onto the board and when you turned it off it would all melt down into a big puddle on top of the board. In theory, if the insulation were good enough and it was an air-tight seal (so that moist air doesn't get inside and form condensation inside the insulation), then it is possible to make a Peltier module work but in practice I suspect it would simply not be worth the trouble.

Also I very much doubt using so many fans in series would multiply their power effectively. If they're all running at the same speed (which most certainly they are), they would just reach a certain speed and move the same amount of air as two or maybe three.

That whole video is deeply flawed. Apparently some of the videos on Youtube are not accurate.

I am on a watercooled machine. I use rubber hoses that can handle the special coolant I run. Carry on.

Some people use an aquarium as a reservoir for cooling , at least the latent heat is put to work that way .
Others appear to immerse the entire computer in mineral oil .
Ethanol and water would probably do sub zero temps fairly adequately ,although would require extra power, equipment fans and noise to cool it. A few people have modified a refridgerator compressor to cool their pc

A look on youtube shows the Crypto hunters to have some of the most elaborate liquid cooled set ups. 

analag said:
I am on a watercooled machine. I use rubber hoses that can handle the special coolant I run. Carry on.
Last century I briefly considered water cooling a high power audio amp, but almost immediately could imagine any number of disastrous failure scenarios, so abandoned the idea.

They do make sealed systems (heat pipes) where the working liquid is unlikely to leak out and the phase transition temperature can be tweaked higher or lower to be more effective.

I didn't use one of them either.

JR

I remember one niteclub/venue here back in the old days , in the room they housed 25 KW of old style audio amplification they ended up having to install a huge aircon system to keep it all going reliably , other places that had the amps in the same room as the crowd would have major sound problems on hot summer nights because the thermal protect on the amps would cut out as the room warmed up , bam your mid/highs would be gone ,open all doors and windows and get manpower up behind the stage with electric fans to move air  :D fun times
If only the urinal wall flow from the nite club bogs could have been force fed through the power amp cooling system there'd never have been an issue , until it sprung a leak .

Whats the special coolant Analag , we must know  ;D

Decades ago I was contacted by a guy based in my hometown who ran a show that was on the "state fair circuit".  He traveled around the USA with a "laserium" which used a large inflatable dome. The show consisted of laser beams that "danced" on the inside of the dome in sync with rock music audio tracks.

The laser itself was a high powered Xenon unit that would produce four (five?) different color beams after going through a prism/beam splitter.  It required water to cool the unit, consisting of a feed through what looked like a garden hose.  After passing through the laser, another hose dumped the water outside of the dome.

I became involved because he needed service work on the Teac 4-track reel-reel machine.  Two tracks played the music, the other two played back bizarre sounding tones which caused multiple small front-surface mirrors to wiggle and thus move the light beams around.  It was an amazing setup!

Bri

abbey road d enfer said:
Ooh! He thinks it's funny! Just shows how any moron can post on Youtube and get some views...

i filed the complaint about his video..

youtube takes very seriously about the complaints!

more the better!

Back