Racking war is still not over - Pix inside

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Krusch

neumann_rack_2.jpg

neumann_rack_1.jpg

Custom rack for a client:
4xNeumann U473a Compressor/Peak stop limiter/Gate
2xNeumann W492 Equalizer
1xNeumann W495STB Stereoequalizer
2xNeumann W491a Equalizer
1xNeumann V472 as Headphone amp
1xNTP 277-400 VU-Meter

damn good looking stuff man!

the enemy will strike back soon with 2x V78 ...watch your back!!!! :green:

steff

Probably my best rack to date: 8 API 312s in a 386 computer case. No individual phantom switches or summing pan/level parts in yet... I would love to know the pan topology of the original 3124m...

APIDIY4.jpg

Just wait 'till I get my hands on some NEVE modules or build some old-school transformerized tube mixer. :twisted:

I built something similar to that a few years ago, I only have this picture left, but gives you an ok idea-

http://www.glideonfade.com/images/germanrack.jpg

dave

I'll tell you what... If you ever get too dizzy staring at your NEVE & Neumann racked modules, I"ll trade you all of those for my nice dull gray Behringer mixer. :wink:

Just fell over this old thread when googling for the Neumann W495STB.

I'd like to know if the Neumann W495STB is a stereo eq that can operate in stereo on it's own??

It sounds like a silly question, I know, but I've been doing some reading about it and here and there they write that it has a "stereo switch" on it and I get a little confused. Does that mean that it requires an additional 495B for those two stereo strapped to work as a stereo eq or is it a 2 in/2 out stereo eq in itself?

I hope someone can clarify that for me.

Thank you!

PS: What a great job on the rack you started the thread with, Michael!!! :shock:

Thanks Darius.

Yes, I saw the auction, but the bidding is over. I will be scanning Ebay regularly for another one...

All I need is a good stereo eq to sit before my GSSL on the mixbuss. Does any alternative eq come to mind? A diy project that I'm unaware of, maybe?

I've been thinking about the Calrec PQ1549 on Jakobs site but my needs are much simpler than that. Actually, just a hi-shelving eq with switchable frequencies would probably be adequate, but I don't know of such an eq. What needs to be done apart from that is easily done during mastering, but I would just like to have that hi-end added before I compress the signal with my GSSL. I have quite good control in the lows and mids, but would just like to brighten or "air up" the signal a bit at that point.

By the way, the "stereo switch" is mentioned here: http://www.professionalaudio.com/professionalaudio/used/W495BST/W495BST.htm

Actually, I've found it more useful, generally speaking, to EQ after compression. If you boost highs before the compressor, it's just going to drive it deeper into gain reduction, so the EQ and compressor will be working at cross-purposes.

If your source and load impedances are known and not subject to change, and you can tolerate the insertion loss, a simple passive EQ may be all you need.

Thanks for the input, NewYorkDave.

Yes, I do ever so often change the order so I eq after compression. Like when I finished the G1176, I immediately started tracking with it inserted but without eqing. It gives me much of what I have missed from when I recorded on to tape in the old days. I sense that's due to the nature of the transformer. Magnetism. (Please have the heart to not tell me tails about how sweet it was to track with an 1176 AND tape!:shock:) However, not so much on the mixbuss. When mixing I like to compress when the mix is as..."even" or well balanced as possible and I tend not to be too generous with highs when mixing on my console so it's not quite as even as I'd like it to be before compressing.

You could argue that I should start pouring highs on where needed on the channel eqs, but in my ears that would require a different kind of control of highs on that eq. I really really like the eq but it has fixed highs and lows. Only the two mids are swept. "High" on this eq gives me pretty good control over crispiness and highs on drums, guitars and such. But not to the extend that I'd like on the high highs and/or airyness on cymbals, vocals... You know what I mean. Before I got the GSSL, I therefore chose to make everything blend well on a level I could control and left the rest up to the mastering process done elsewhere. But now I have the GSSL and would like just to compensate a bit for the above before compressing since I have more than once discovered details when boosting overall highs I would have liked to have taken care of in the mix. Right now I have to mix, make a quick master eq on the computer to make sure I'm not surprised later on, and then go back and change details if necessary. What joy it would be just to be able to tell before I run the mix back into the computer...

I wouldn't be surprised if, as you say, a simple passive eq is all I need. And with the GSSL situated after the eq, I have plenty of threshold margin and plenty of gain makeup to compensate for insertion loss.

Are there any DIY projects available for "a simple passive eq" of this sort?
What am I looking for in the dungeons of Castle Groupdiy?:razz:

I assume the output impedance of my Soundtracs console and the input impedance of the GSSL won't be changing by itself so that shouldn't be a problem.

[Thinking out loud]Hmmm...maybe.......if I build this passive eq, and then at some point get my greedy hands on a Neumann W495stb.....I could just add that W495stb after the comp and be able to refine the overall sound even more in a more....mastering-like fashion...[/Thinking out loud]

[quote author="Luny Tune"]
Are there any DIY projects available for "a simple passive eq" of this sort?[/quote]

I seem to recall that somebody here posted an original design for a simple passive EQ, with selectable frequencies, some time ago :wink:

Fig. 1
Fig. 2

Ahhhhh, ok. I think I see a pattern now.... It's been like starring at one of those stereograms. :grin:

Thanks all!!

And it doesn't need anything else, right? I just put, as an example, three of these babies in series on two vero boards, mount them in a box....and I'm flying?

Can it be that simple? Is the stairway to heaven that short and easy to climb? Am I really only hours from true happiness?? :green:

Latest posts

Back