Noisy AT4033

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saint gillis

Dears, I'm repairing an AT4033, it works, but has a noise, a kind of highpass filtered little white noise.

I've cleaned every part of the circuits carefully, replaced the electrolytic caps, replaced the capsule with a 100p capacitor, noise always there...

I did my homeworks, here the schematic, any help appreciated, thanks :
http://www.sub-continental.com/diy/audiotechnica/AT4033.jpg

In some Shure KSM27 and KSM141, they seem to have used a faulty batch of 68pF / 120pF ceramic capacitors. Might be worth looking into? Or perhaps even the bigger values, if they're SMD ceramics.

A test/guess after the test and cleaning you did would be to check the regulator section with a scope for noise on the power supply

saint gillis said:
  Dears, I'm repairing an AT4033, it works, but has a noise, a kind of highpass filtered little white noise.

I've cleaned every part of the circuits carefully, replaced the electrolytic caps, replaced the capsule with a 100p capacitor, noise always there...

I did my homeworks, here the schematic, any help appreciated, thanks :
http://www.sub-continental.com/diy/audiotechnica/AT4033.jpg
i would suggest you first identify the part of the circuit that's at fault. You can do it by shunting signal to ground, via  a RC (about 10uF in seried with 100r) in various parts of the circuit, particularly the bases and collectors of Q6 and Q8, and the source of Q1.

Thanks everyone.
So I've shunt to ground every transistor's base and collector with the rc network, always noise.
Then I removed yellow and black psu wires supplying the preamp, and put a 4K7 load between them, and the noise was present...

saint gillis said:
Thanks everyone.
So I've shunt to ground every transistor's base and collector with the rc network, always noise.
Then I removed yellow and black psu wires supplying the preamp, and put a 4K7 load between them, and the noise was present...
It could be any of the components in the voltage regulator, but I would suspect first C14 and D5.

The electrolytics have been changed, and I've also tried to change the zener, didn't solve the issue..
I'll try to find the culprit , do you think I can put any low noise transistor in the regulator?

saint gillis said:
do you think I can put any low noise transistor in the regulator?
The originals are rated at 120V, but I don't think it's necessary. They are not particularly low noise by modern standards, but they have a large hfe. I would not hesitate to replace them with the usual suspects BC550/560.

saint gillis said:

Show us the noise, that can help understand what the problem is.

Record the noise and post a link here

Latest posts

Back