Help with Capacitor Choice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofearl

I'm planning on replacing the electrolytics in a 1980s RFZ console. Most of them are original Frolyt and Tesla caps. I'm not an advanced tech but am comfortable replacing capacitors.

I was going to use Panasonic FC caps where I can, just based on reading advice here and elsewhere. But many of the caps are axial with a spacing of about 40-45mm. Mouser/digikey don't seem to give the length of how far these will reach - or maybe I'm missing that in the specs. I see the size of the caps and lead spacing, but not the length of the leads.

For example, 1000/6.3 caps - I saw some Vishay 1000/10 asm axials that would fit but they are so much more expensive then the radial FC's, like $148 vs $16 for 100.

Am I needlessly worrying and the FC's should fit? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

axial caps are probably scarce and getting scarcer... It is possible to use radial caps in place of axials if there are not mechanical vibration issues.

JR

maybe it's a dumb question but is there any chance the leads wouldn't reach if the holes are 45mm apart?

i could handle that for a few capacitors, but i'm dealing with hundreds 😬

maybe i should order one of each to make sure first

JohnRoberts said:
axial caps are probably scarce and getting scarcer... It is possible to use radial caps in place of axials if there are not mechanical vibration issues.

JR

Yes, and there are more quality choices in Radial caps than axial.
Higher quality, more options, cheaper prices.

I replace axial with radial caps all the time. Sometimes I have to be creative like Abbey said but most times they fit well.

dukeofearl said:
maybe i should order one of each to make sure first

Maybe thats the best way to proceed.

You talked about Panasonic FC, I like all Panasonic series, I buy mainly 105 degrees rated caps nowadays, but was always happy with any Panasonic or any Nichicon independently of the series.

dukeofearl said:
I'm planning on replacing the electrolytics in a 1980s RFZ console. Most of them are original Frolyt and Tesla caps. I'm not an advanced tech but am comfortable replacing capacitors.

I was going to use Panasonic FC caps where I can, just based on reading advice here and elsewhere. But many of the caps are axial with a spacing of about 40-45mm. Mouser/digikey don't seem to give the length of how far these will reach - or maybe I'm missing that in the specs. I see the size of the caps and lead spacing, but not the length of the leads.

For example, 1000/6.3 caps - I saw some Vishay 1000/10 asm axials that would fit but they are so much more expensive then the radial FC's, like $148 vs $16 for 100.

Am I needlessly worrying and the FC's should fit? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Hey Duke, I've found that the dimensions of parts on sites like mouser are not always reliable.  The datasheet  .pdf files of these parts that are linked on mouser are much more reliable in determining if parts will fit/ have long enough leads etc.  In these spec sheets all dimensions you need to know are listed.  You can even search for your parts based on the dimensions you require. 

Hope this helps.
-Tim

thanks - yes i see that now in the data sheet

unfortunately panasonic seems to have "14min./17min." for everything. that would not reach. however, i referenced one fc cap that i have and the leads are way longer than that. maybe i just need to roll the dice and return them if they don't fit (or get creative).

Attachments

• mouser.png
    mouser.png
    131.9 KB · Views: 7
Please use for axial capacitors Vishay types. They are available at www.conrad.de for instance.

At KV80 and similiar modules are only some capacitors with radial connections.

If you like I can send you a list of types or the caps self to your adress.

Or you can send me the KV 80 and similar types of modules for restauration.

The problem is that the Panasonic FC have very low ESR but the former Frolyt doesn´t have very low ESR in earlier times. So you change some calculated working points.

And it is possible that you get mechanical problems. It is very important that you use the brown plate with shielding copper for maximum of channel separation!

Best regards!

jokeramik

www.rfz-der-ddr.de

Latest posts

Back