I don’t think this guy is married...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a few guys in my years of hifi sales returned with their tail between their legs , they either got their money back on the gear or their marriage was over , on the few ocassions it happened we did accept the return of the gear or sell them something more 'spouse friendly'  as we used say ourselves in the trade .

The Bose style sat/woofer set up was the usual road for guys who were downtrodden by the wife  :(

"Using the CBS pink noise record STR-140 and an SPL meter, the system is adjusted to correspond to a curve derived from the Fletcher-Munson data on hearing"

I wonder if he has also included anything like "the BBC dip" for each of his crossovers? Measurements alone maketh not a great loudspeaker...

Rob Flinn said:
My other half just went halves with me on a pair of IMF transmission line speakers.  38.5" tall 16" deep & 18" wide.  I was expecting to pay for them by myself but she offered to pay half !
Heard a pair of TLS80s for the first time a while ago... I'm now a believer!

Nick Froome

I'm just glad I'm not 6 feet under for some of the stuff I've bought.

Come to think of it, my wife does watch a lot of crime show...

Oh, well, I'm sure it's nothing...

James

Rob Flinn said:
My other half just went halves with me on a pair of IMF transmission line speakers.  38.5" tall 16" deep & 18" wide.  I was expecting to pay for them by myself but she offered to pay half !
Hi Rob,
If you run into trouble and need some replacement units let me know.  I think I have some spare B139s and Celestion voice coils down in the den somewhere.

The IMFs are very revealing speakers, especially their Monitors series

Cheers

Mike

madswitcher said:
Hi Rob,
If you run into trouble and need some replacement units let me know.  I think I have some spare B139s and Celestion voice coils down in the den somewhere.

The IMFs are very revealing speakers, especially their Monitors series

Cheers

Mike

I always wanted a pair of these speakers since I first heard them when I was 16 back in 79.    There was a pair at a studio I was involved with 15 years ago but they weren't mine.  I just got this pair from a lady whose husband bought them new in 1971.  They are in fantastic nick, but the tweeters & super tweeters are blown.  Fortunately there is a company (Falcon Acoustics) that does a complete range of of spares.  So I am waiting on the replacement drivers & caps for the crossovers.  I'm going to couple them with a period QUAD 44 & 405 system.  Can't wait.

Rob Flinn said:
I'm going to couple them with a period QUAD 44 & 405 system.  Can't wait.

My 405 went south recently and I replaced it with a "new" one pending recapping the old one. I was amazed at how different the new one sounded - bass slam reappeared. So I'd say every 405 might benefit from recapping

Nick Froome

Back