S*S*L X*Logic Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know what the 85501 and 85502 are.. looks like IC diff amp receiver and transmitter... like the ssm2141 and ssm2142 but the pin numbering is different..

I've been searching for that 85501 but couldn't find anything sofar. Strange thing over there, there seems to be a gain realized by the ratio of an internal & external resistor. This couldn't be, since it's not very optimal w.r.t. distortion. likely I'm interpreting this IC wrongly.

[quote author="clintrubber"]I've been searching for that 85501 but couldn't find anything sofar.[/quote]
They are small PCBs:
IMG_1446.jpg

[quote author="matthias"]is that module on the right a replacement for thde dbx202 vca ??
do you have a picture from the inside of the whole comp ???[/quote]
yes and yes
IMG_1445.jpg

At AES I played around with the real SSL comp and was pleasantly suppressed that the one I built sounded a lot like theirs. The only real difference were the fast attack and release times were a little smoother, and I rarely use those except when I really want to F things up. I still don't understand how they can charge what the charge for one of those.

[quote author="nacho459"] I still don't understand how they can charge what the charge for one of those.[/quote]
this does tend to happen with many units

in the defence of the small manufacturer, it can be difficult to survive and so prices are high.
but there probably is a line were boutique becomes rip-off

Latest posts

Back