Makie Onyx Firewire Card pinout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulistan

Is someone knows pinout for the firewire card, optional for Makie Onyx series ?
I'm planning to use it as "standalone", without mixer. Driver can be downloaded for free.

Yes that would be a good idea but I supose he would like to buy only the interface, not the mixer. :grin:
Maybe you can borow an Onyx from someone who has it to reverse engineer the connector.

chrissugar

"modding" an onyx card really is the best way forward I believe.

There are 3rd parties out there that are building OEM cards for 1394, but it looks like these cards are more expensive than the onyx card itself.

But... and this is the bit I don't like....

The converters in the card (i suspect they are int he card rather than the mixer) are pretty shoddy. From the Mackie website:

> 98 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz @ 96 kHz sample rate
> 100 dB, 20 Hz to 20 kHz @ 44.1 kHz sample rate

That sounds like low performance Codec's or sub $1 multichannel DVD player DAC's. Which is fine, as long as that's what you want.

:)

It would have been better if they could have integrated higher performance ADC's or DAC's into the product (e.g. TI, AKM, Cirrus or Wolfson).

There was a thread on this same topic, in which Mackie seemed willing to cough up the pinout & some technical info about the card:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6798&highlight=mackie+firewire

Just took a quick glance at the thread, I wonder if this ever went anywhere?

I never followed up because the poor specs ultimately scared me off. They can't be using very good converters here, so I decided that there was no point really. I think it was designed as a companion to a live mixer, a way to get a live-mix into a multitrack. They even designed the busses to come pre EQ, so that the EQ that's needed for the room doesn't have to be committed to tape. It probably kicks major butt in that application.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back