Newbie question - using cassettes and not racks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am planning to start building soon
First very simply - a DI box ...
However my plan is to build all of these into a console/mixer type structure and not use racks.
Maybe something like the old Telefunken cassettes (they look an ideal size) - is this a standard?
Do people still make these - or has it been superceeded by something else?
Do the PCBs that are available within the Lab - are they to a standard size - or if I go the cassette route will I have to make my own to the cassette size?

many thanks

I think yuor only option would be to look at Eurocard racks... and then you're rack mounted again!

-But all of the 'cassette' systems I can think of are manufacturer specific, other than the old (obsolete) German (possibly DIN) 'N' cassettes...

Look into Eurocard frames... I would!

keith

Hi,

Eurocard cases...that reminds me...

I got myself a couple of these recently-

page8-4~1260-1.jpg

page8-4a~1260-2.jpg

They're designed to take a "Eurocard" size PCB, but you can fit your own posts for any size board. And the best part is- they're £3.50 (ex-VAT) each!!

Have a look here

The front and rear panels have been punched, but all you need to do is cut down two bits of aluminium to size- they just slide in. All steel, rugged, and nice to look at.

More cases here

I started building some gear into a Eurocard rack package- a bit like the projects in Craig Andertons "Electronic Projects For Musicians"- worked really well. You can include the PSU one end too.

:thumb:

Mark

Old Telefunken like V376 or V676 etc are Eurocard size.

What was used for Mixers etc is the "Rundfunknormkassette", or "Dannerkassette", in 4 different sizes: A, B, 2A, 2B. (like alle the Neumann V476, Telefunken V676B etc).
They are still made by Davis (http://www.davisgmbh.de), but that would be an expensive DI Box.

Thanks Guys this is exactly what I am after
Making a desk out of these will be easy

Now the hard part...

Found some more enclosures for eurocards in the UK
http://www.lincolnbinns.com/e-case.htm

Latest posts

Back