s(sl)omething for the weekend...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daArry

Hey...

Put another SSL together over the weekend - this time for the front panel I used the same process as with the pcbs with the toner transfer method. Just stuck the panel in the oven for while beforehand (tip from pp i think - thanks!) faded in some areas but at least I know what is what! :)

ssl2u_1.jpg

:thumb:

Another DIY project under your belt... One of these days I hope to get to that SSL project too...

Hear it sounds great. I'd love to hear sound samples. I've heard a drum track through these things. The guy squashed the drums a bit too much, but the compression was clean and silky :grin: :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Cheers chaps :thumb:

Blade, it's the same method used when doing PCBs with the toner transfer method...

I printed out the mirrored artwork on 'laserstar' film on the laserprinter (need toner not inkjet ink remem). After drilling, filling and cleaning the panel I popped it in the oven to heat up - left it in till it was too hot to touch and then took it out and placed on a wooden table. Then I lined up the artwork toner side down on the panel and put some kitchen paper on top then just ironed away... that's it really. I havnt even sealed the panel with anything yet as the toner is really bonded nice to the metal - I can't sratch it off etc....

Ta

DaArry,

I like the look of that! Makes mine look positively shabby . . . BTW is that a vu meter I can see? How does that work exactly? I thought you had to use a 1ma fsd meter. i have LOADSA vu meters of all shapes and sizes, and no 1ma meterz . . . and another GSSL under construction . . . I would really appreciate any help to enable me to use one of me existing vu's . . . .

All the best,

ANdy P

Hey Andy,

Cheers. The meter... it's a VU scale (which i'll change) but the meter itself is a regular 0.5mA/500uA type. I worked it out from one of the mighty Burnley posts...

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=375
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=1996

So on the SSL pcb - instead of soldering in the 2K spec'ed meter res I've just wired a 10k pot as a varible resistor so I can tweak to get the right response (not sure if i need a shunt here - its say use 330r for 100uA meter on ssl schemo). Once the meter is acting right just take a measurement of the pot and replace with a res or nearest value...

Peesh :thumb:

I think that'd be a start yer - but I'm really not sure on the ins n outs tbh... I think any meter upto 10mA (which is FSD? so should be measured and not trusted on meter scale alone I think) can be used if i remember correctly...

I'm sure if you start a thread when u crack it open and get busy you'll get a more detailed n knowledgable answer tho!

Best,

Dear DaArry,
I Guess i;ll just have to give it a go! I am not that bothered just so long as I;ve got some kind of meter waggling around. I find that they all look different under usage anyway!

All the best,

ANdy P

Latest posts

Back