Sound clip - modified Transound TSB-165A capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scodiddly

I've been using the Transound TSB-165A for my "Alice" mics. Very nice, but a bit more hyped than I like. So I finally got around to cutting away the front with the little holes to boost the treble. Now it's just a big hole and hopefully flat response. I'll have to figure out a way to test the response (or more likely just send it to another DIY nut who's already got a test rig), but in the short term some simple listening tests have shown some promising results.

Here's a half-assed comparison on acoustic guitar, one of my regular Alice mics and one with the modified capsule:
http://www.scotthelmke.com/tsb165-vs-modded.mp3

What you do think? I'll hold off saying which side is which mic.

I think the right side sounds less hyped as you mention.

What tool did you use to cut away the frontplate?

the right side is definitely nice! sounds way nicer than the left. You could add some EQ to the right to make it sound like the left, but would be harder to subtract from the left to make it sound like the right if that makes sense.

dave

Yup, the modded capsule is on the right. It is a bit of a subtle difference, was more obvious to me when I was fooling around with headphones and different sources. The stock capsule has that kind of forced brightness which stands out a bit more when compared to the modded capsule.

Of course in a way this is a bit silly, because I'm basically shooting for something closer to my Oktava MK-012 mics. But then I managed to get a really good pair of the Oktavas to which the usual mods don't seem to be needed, so it's a good target to shoot for. And anyway my real goal is to get something I can put into a stereo mic that's quiet, flat, etc. The stock capsule is great in single-source applications, but I haven't really liked it as an ensemble mic.

Latest posts

Back