Console project finished at last

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Hansen

Here is some information about a huge rebuilding project, two Amek Angela built together to one big console.

Finally finished after long time.

http://web.comhem.se/~u00000599/

--Bo

Reminds me of those pictures from the insides of one of the Cray supercomputers. In addition to everything else each coax had to be trimmed to a high accuracy in length to control the delays.

When I had finsihed a huge and lengthy (~4 years) project this one grad student came in and said "What would you do if someone took an axe to that?"

He made me a little uneasy. But at least by then I knew the thing worked, which a number of people said it wouldn't.

I once made 1 big desk of 2 tascam m3500, plus a few upgrades (changing bus resistors etc...). was a big project for me...but when I see this...ehm... :oops:

great work!

That looks really good. I wish I could find another couple of Trimix`s to bolt on the side of my 2 frame desk.

It reminds me of Blakes creation at Great linford Manor:

http://www.recordproduction.com/classic_console_video.htm

Thanks guy`s,

I have build consoles before, but this was a manhood both for me and my soldering guy.
This was also a education project for my friend Ljupce Mitrovski, that was a non electronic guy from the beginning, but are my super soldering man to day, and done wonderful cable, soldering and assembly work.

I must tell a funny thing.
When I estimate the quantity for the cable harness in the console, I guess 2.000 metres, I buy two big reel, 1 km each, from the "French connection" cable company in Franch, and when we was finished there was only 50 meters left on the last reel.

--Bo

[quote author="Bo Hansén"]Thanks guy`s,

I must tell a funny thing.
When I estimate the quantity for the cable harness in the console, I guess 2.000 metres, I buy two big reel, 1 km each, from the "French connection" cable company in Franch, and when we was finished there was only 50 meters left on the last reel.

--Bo[/quote]

Maybe you missed something...

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :guinness: :green:

Sammas,

You make me worried,
can it be 4x12,5 meters cable for remix left right insert send/return, maybe this is the reason way the console is so quiet. :shock: :shock: :shock:

--Bo

[quote author="Bo Hansén"]Sammas,

You make me worried,
can it be 4x12,5 meters cable for remix left right insert send/return, maybe this is the reason way the console is so quiet. :shock: :shock: :shock:

--Bo[/quote]

no! you got it all... relax! have a beer :guinness: you've certianly earned it.

We have an angela at work sence 1985 and its still in service!
I've been the maintence guy for that desk from day one. Great desk but
in the last 20 years I've recaped and reswitched the whole thing so I know whats involved with your project Bo.
It is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! Most inpressive!!! DAMN GREAT!!! All I can say is
you and Ljupce must have NO life ...you must have 1000+ hours in this
desk. WOW!!! Printed a picture for my control room wall!!

Congrats

GARY

nice work
I have always wondered why these console were so heavy!!

well ....with about 50 miles af wire in them I guess so...lol

congrats and thansk for the pics

later
ts

:shock: :cool: Cool! How much time did you spend behind this thing :?:

Iam thinking about doing the same. I bought two 28/24/2 soundcraft 2400 consoles. But these ones aren't inline but split technology. So there is 5m desk width. (much room for diy channels) :wink:
It would be cool if I could route every of the 56channels to all 48 busses.

There are 24 switches for the group bus routing. (stereo alps switches)
Every dual switch only uses one switch contact.
Like this:
soundcraft_original_layout02.jpg

My idea was to connect the LEFT to the 24 routing switches of DESK 1,
and connect RIGHT to the same 24 routing switches which were connected to the group bus of DESK 2. (incl. summing resistors)

Like this:
soundcraft_48bus_mod02.jpg

So I could route the signal to the group busses 1-24 with the switches and select the desks by using the PANORAMA pot. Is this correct? Or will this effect any problems :?:

Bo, did you just connect the BUS systems together? (aux bus, tape bus, main mix bus...) :?: :?: And have you changed the summing resistors on each channel? :?
My aux summing resistors for example are 7k5 (aux), group bus are 12k, mix bus are 3k. Do I have to add higher resistor values if I would like to add more channels?

Thanks,
Frank.

Frank,

Yes, your "routing idea" is ok, but it is important that the panning pot circuit not leak any signal, example to the right channel when the pan are in full left possition.

If there are a "virtual summing mix buss" with summing point in to the (-minus) inverted input on the op-amp, (or on some Soundcraft consoles ther can be a "base grounded" transistor before the op-amp) you not need to change the summing resistors, because the virtual input will adjust it self.
When you get -6dB loss in the summing point every time you double the number of resistror, you get +6dB gain from the invertet summing amp.

So long there are a NE-5534/32 as mix buss amp, there are no bigger problem with the noise, but you can get lower noise if you use a ADI AD-797, but this are only in single version, and can also be a bit instable with out some modification on the pc-card layout and so on.
(not need to change op-amp, if there are a "basegrounded transistor as a front-end amp)

So you can connect all "same" mix busses on the motherbord or ribbon cable harness together, but use only one of the consoles mix-amps for each mix buss rail at same time.
It is very, very important to connect a extremely good ground connection between the consoles, and not mix-up the different ground system, if there are separate grounding for power, mix busses, cable screens, frame/chassis, etc.

--Bo

Latest posts

Back