Scavenging parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_ardvark

Hi there all

Great board!!! Ive been lurking and reading/learning alot over the past few weeks.

I'm wondering if anyone has sources for mic x/fers. Are suitable one's found in any consumer electronics???

I like to work on the cheap.

Thanks

Denny

Nope, mic transformers were traditionally expensive components, and thus avoided in most consumer gear..

..and welcome to GroupDIY, by the way...!

thanks gyraf.

outstanding mic you built btw.

I hope to tackel a pair of G7's in the near future.

Maybe winding my own would be a good way to learn?

Or perhaps it would be a fools errand :^(

Thanks

My scavenging takes place at Hamfests. The Rochester NY one is taking place this weekend. Yesterday's haul included:

UTC A-19 20K:80K split interstage transformer - $US 0.50

2,000 ft #22 solid core silver plated teflon insulated wire - $US 5

All the following bought in 1 "junk" box for $10 (the guy only wanted $7):

2 Peerless 15356 600/150:600 line transformers
1 Peerless 15095A 15K:600 plate to line transformer
2 Altec 1579B RIAA Phono preamp plug-in modules
2 Mallory T600 T Pad's/ 600 ohm 4W (new in box)
2 Triad R-104A plate + filament transformers, NIB perfect for tube preamps, signal processing.
2 Stancor 16W 25V line->speaker transformers
2 Stancor 5W 25V line->speaker transformers (useful in DIY guitar amps)
--- a bunch more stuff ----

I also picked up some 2.5 uF 300V mil spec hermetically sealed polycarbonate film caps. Can't wait to try these out in various coupling applications.

1959 Sylvania technical manual (tube data, etc.) $1. Sure, I've got all that stuff on the computer, but the paper still rules for bathroom study.

-Jon

No... Maybe we should organize one.

There is one in Uusikarlepyy in mid august every year. Mostly old car part and stuff. But if you get really lucky you can find some interesting electronic parts too.

/Anders

[quote author="da_ardvark"]WOW, I can't beleive I didnt already think of this for parts. This takes in May so I missed a golden opportunity :cry:

Thanks for the insight.

Denny[/quote]

Some of the traveling circus that goes from hamfest to hamfest was whining how everyone at Dayton wanted a ton of money for junk. I'd say that's nearly universally true of the traveling vendors. Nearly all the good stuff I find comes from guys in the hobby unloading their lifelong stash. They are happy to get the stuff to someone who is going to use it. They don't care if the transformer goes for $240 on ebay. They'll sell it to you for $5, because you're excited about finding it.

I got my 2,000 tube stash and boxes of transformers, tube sockets, pots, etc. at a couple of the smaller hamfests, so don't worry about Dayton.

Here's the listing of Ohio's for 2005:
http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html?dosel=1&subtype=section&selsect=OH

good hunting,
-Jon

here's a calendar/database for hamfests throughout the usa and canada.

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html#listing

edit: hey vibrolax, i see we're literally on the same page :shock: :grin: :guinness:

Back